Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strange battlefield find. Panzer?

Article about: Hello guys On our last trip i found this item but have no idea what it is. I was thinking about the gun mount on some armored vehicle? However the 4 screw holes i can't figure out. Also on t

?

Default Strange battlefield find. Panzer?

Hello guys

On our last trip i found this item but have no idea what it is. I was thinking about the gun mount on some armored vehicle? However the 4 screw holes i can't figure out. Also on the other side of the item there are 6(3 over and 3 under) "locking devices" or something like that The item is very heavy. About 30-40 Kg i would say.

It would be awesome if we could find out what this mystery item is for

Regards, Lars

At a wild guess i think a part from a gearbox/transmission!...

?

I would also guess it was part of an engine/transmission type thing.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Thank you for the input friend It must be for a very heavy duty gear box then. It is very heavy indeed. I wonder what the 6 "locking devices" or whatever it is, is for. An axle or a barrel for that matter will not be able to run through the hole when in "locked" position. Maybe there were another device attached to it on the outside enabling them to move in lock and unlock position?

Cheers

Did you take this home mate? If so it might be easier to work out after cleaning. Quite enigmatic little bugger this one...

?

No i did not mate. The bugger weighs about 30 kg or so but i have a plan on going out there next weekend. I could bring some water and a brush and clean it up a bit. I is a strange object indeed. The whole construction is very thick steel. The walls of the "barrel/axle" mount is conical and at least 2.5 cm thick. The 6 ratchets is really strange.

Cheers mate

?

Any chance of this being a heavy jack? Kinda looks like the lighter ones used on Bren Carriers

Dean

?

I do not know what they look like but it sounds quite reasonable actually.

Regards, Lars

I go for a tanks running gear/wheels.

I think this is the mantlet from a tank. The main gun goes through the middle and a machine gun is fitted in the hole to the side so the gunner can use the main gun or the machine gun by simply pointing the turret. It would however be a very small turret so maybe a recon vehicle?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast