Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tanks on a Norfolk beach

Article about: I feel for the troops, the government get them into it and can't be ar*ed to back them up, we need another man like Winny not the theiving lieing bunch of no hopers in Westminster . rant ove

Rick
    ?

Default Re: Tanks on a Norfolk beach

I feel for the troops, the government get them into it and can't be ar*ed to back them up, we need another man like Winny not the theiving lieing bunch of no hopers in Westminster . rant over!
    Re the tanks on the beach, i read it as they were used for training for D Day so i doubt there ours or if theyt were they must have been old then.
    Rick

I believe that these are Centaur tank chassis judging by the suspention. This chassis was developed into the Cromwell. They dont have the upper hull and it makes me wonder if by chance they were the bulldozer set up.

They almost certainly were using current (for the period) British models I would think. All the old gunnery ranges I know have at least one or two tanks left on them, and all were current allied models for the period. The chassis's look like Centaurs to me.

Indeed, the famous practice beach at Slapton Sands in Devon has a Sherman retrieved from the sea as a memorial to the guys who lost their lives in Operation Tiger. The lake behind the beach is said to be full of tanks and other vehicles that the Americans dumped in their at the end of the war.

Steve T

Rick
    ?

I am intrigued to find out they used current models, but i suppose any old scrap ones had been recycled by then after all they had restorted to melting down pots pans and railings, interesting fact about the lake in Devon Steve, my Uncle who was ground support told me stories of the backfilling of ditches and fortifications on airfeilds with all maner of goods at the close of the war, including aircraft engines still in crates, so keep digging who knows whats down there.

Rick

Norfcoast
    ?

Hi,

Picked up this post via a link to our blog.

There's a bit more info on the history of the Titchwell range here:

The Briarfields Hotel Titchwell | The North Norfolk Coast | Titchwell Marsh, North West Norfolk, before the RSPB

If we can find out more abiout the tanks, we'll let you know.

Hi lads,

The tank chassis appear to be of the Valentine/Archer type. Heres a couple of pic's of a Valentine tank(note the suspension looks the same, i think it's called the Christie system,) and an Archer anti tank destroyer, built on the same chassis. Thats my punt at it!!

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tanks on a Norfolk beach   Tanks on a Norfolk beach  

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I would go with the Valentine, The Archer was still in demand abroad well into the 50's....seems the 17 pounder was still a handy bit of kit...

Hi all, 1st post on this forum, I remember seeing these tanks a few years ago at Tichwell. My best guess at the time was the Cruiser tank Mk 3. I can also remember that you could view a prominent ship wreak a little further up the coast on the sand banks. It must have been at least 8 years ago I was there, but looking at the pics, those tanks have'nt changed that much.

Quote by Rick View Post
    I am intrigued to find out they used current models, but i suppose any old scrap ones had been recycled by then after all they had restorted to melting down pots pans and railings, interesting fact about the lake in Devon Steve, my Uncle who was ground support told me stories of the backfilling of ditches and fortifications on airfeilds with all maner of goods at the close of the war, including aircraft engines still in crates, so keep digging who knows whats down there.

Rick
    i wouldnt mind knowing the airfeild your talking about when you say about the crated engines!!

hi i believe they are centuars.there are two more from d day lying on the seabed in brecklesham bay .cheers eddy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2