Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Todays Finds

Article about: Went out for an hour and a half this evening 1: 2 bits of shrapnel 2: Some good .303's 3: Flare cartridges 4: massive flare cartridge 5: Unkown item 6: Unkpown item reverse 7 Rassper Jam, an

Default Todays Finds

Went out for an hour and a half this evening

1: 2 bits of shrapnel
    2: Some good .303's
    3: Flare cartridges
    4: massive flare cartridge
    5: Unkown item
    6: Unkpown item reverse
    7 Rassper Jam, any one seen this before?

Many thanks,

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Todays Finds   Todays Finds  

Todays Finds   Todays Finds  

Todays Finds   Todays Finds  

Todays Finds  

Default Re: Todays Finds

John,
    Nice finds. What type of place were you searching round?
    Regards, Simon.

John,

Could your mystery item be a fuel can lid or a filler cap for a fuel tank. I only say as it looks very similar to the one on a Ferret or Stalwart, I can't remember which? It looks smaller though unless your hands are as big as spades.

Jock

Whitehunter

You were searching an airbase I think. The reason I think this is that the first picture you identify as 'flare cartridges' I don't believe they are. I found dozens of these in front of some aircraft pens a few years back and thought the same as you. Then I was watching that old film with James Stewart ....ermm....plane crashes in the desert and they make a new plane out of the bits....Flight of the Phoenix ? He only has 4 or 5 'starter cartridges' and the tension builds....... Anyway, I digress. They are the remains of coffman cartridges, used to start a number of different aircraft engines. They are badly damaged and 'crimped' because the turning of the motor would chop them off like this. This gives them away, as does the apparent cardboard blast cap.

The far right 303 looks like a blank. Is it ?

And finally I totally LOVE the jam tube ! Awesome !

Cheers

Steve T
    Last edited by Steve T; 06-08-2010 at 09:54 AM.

Here's some of my Coffman's......

SNAP !

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Todays Finds  

Quote by Whitehunter View Post
    Went out for an hour and a half this evening

1: 2 bits of shrapnel
    2: Some good .303's
    3: Flare cartridges
    4: massive flare cartridge
    5: Unkown item
    6: Unkpown item reverse
    7 Rassper Jam, any one seen this before?

Many thanks,

John
    Some very nice finds there! Have never seen the Raspberry jam in a tube before-very nice! Regards, Tim.

Quote by shadowwolf View Post
    John,
    Nice finds. What type of place were you searching round?
    Regards, Simon.
    hello mate, I'm searching a airfield and the surrounding area

Quote by jock auld View Post
    John,

Could your mystery item be a fuel can lid or a filler cap for a fuel tank. I only say as it looks very similar to the one on a Ferret or Stalwart, I can't remember which? It looks smaller though unless your hands are as big as spades.

Jock
    I was thinking the same it does look like some sort of fuel cap

[QUOTE=Steve T;153746]Whitehunter

You were searching an airbase I think. The reason I think this is that the first picture you identify as 'flare cartridges' I don't believe they are. I found dozens of these in front of some aircraft pens a few years back and thought the same as you. Then I was watching that old film with James Stewart ....ermm....plane crashes in the desert and they make a new plane out of the bits....Flight of the Phoenix ? He only has 4 or 5 'starter cartridges' and the tension builds....... Anyway, I digress. They are the remains of coffman cartridges, used to start a number of different aircraft engines. They are badly damaged and 'crimped' because the turning of the motor would chop them off like this. This gives them away, as does the apparent cardboard blast cap.

The far right 303 looks like a blank. Is it ?

And finally I totally LOVE the jam tube ! Awesome !

Cheers

Steve you are correct I am searching a airfield and it's surrounding area. That's intresting about those cartridges but what about the biggest one? The .303's some are blanks and some are live fires ones. I am pleased with these beacuse I've probably found over 5,000 303,s and most of the time they come up broken or extremely brtittle. Have you seen any of those jam tubes before? Many thanks, john

John

The flare cartridge is indeed a standard flare cartridge (2 inch I think ..... Big Ned knows.... he ID'd the last one I found ), and the notchs around the rim indicate colour. No notches is one colour, notches half way round another, notches all the way round another. Again....Big Ned knows as I've forgotten

303's are notoriously brittle after being buried in dirt for 70 years. The ones I find in the dunes at my gunnery range are always tip top though.

As for the jam tube...never seen one before but I think they are from ration packs aren't they ? Maybe aircrew emergency packs ? Ade will know for sure I would think as this is right up his street

The Coffmans you found are very interesting. There will be a LOT more at your site. Search behind or in front of the aircraft pens at 'throwing distance' from the pens. The mechanics would lob them away when they got spat out

Cheers

Steve T

PS If you've got these finds at your site, you need to find the barracks. It will probably be chock full of finds if it hasn't been converted into modern use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast