Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Trevellas Airfield (RAF Perranporth)

Article about: Thats a great result and to hear you've pulled plenty of bottles is a very good sign you're definately on track. Were they beer bottles with perhaps a few table spoon marked medicines and pl

Default Re: Trevellas Airfield (RAF Perranporth)

Thats a great result and to hear you've pulled plenty of bottles is a very good sign you're definately on track. Were they beer bottles with perhaps a few table spoon marked medicines and plenty of Marmite or Bovril jars if so then thats what you'd expect from a 1940s airfield. In the picture of finds is the large piece of metal aluminium?, the colour of the shiny bits sort of looks like it? If it is then there's a high chance its a piece of aero skin. I like the bunker type building it looks like some sort of gun pit and the bomb shelter is in great nick obviously not visited much because I cant see any modern graffiti.
    The relics will be there keep up the good work and you'll find them, remember the results come to those that try. But if you're aiming to try the mine shaft be carefull and take someone with you .
    Good Luck.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Hi Lucky,i was kind of hopeing you'd reply,along with steve,you've both given me good guidance.as for that piece of aluminium in the pic,i did find several more at the other end of the airfield,looks to be melted,but deliberately not as a result of anything exciting.The bottles are mainly im guessing sauce bottles of some kind,plenty more broken ones than not! several medicine marked ones,i noted a bisurated magnesia moulded one, for indegestion i believe?
    Listen i recently did some work on a house.the owner lived throughthe war,she basically guaged my interest in the period and showed me a diary of her uncle,who wrote a diary during those war years.from where he was he could see the local airfield at nancekuke,all the way up the coast to st ives and beyond,across to falmouth and could also see/hear raids in plymouth,its a fascinating read! he also mentions some aircraft that came down,cross referencing his info with flight docs i think iv come up with a few locations,however time is limited and that will have to take a very overcrowded back seat.the area also was the site of an american camp,of which most of the roads/ gun positions are still there! also iv located fields of which there were many,of where gi's camped before the big day,im uncertain as to whether any of these places have ever been searched?
    Whilst at the house her husband gave me a .303 case telling me that in 1960 a local farmer was digging out a hedge and came across what he said was a beaufort(although beaufighters were stationed near by)anyhow he and his son helped get it out and the navigator was still seated,apparently it struck an area of heathland,dont know anything else about it and im struggling to locate such a lose at the present time.Hope to keep you all up to date!
    Last edited by cornishboy; 05-30-2011 at 07:28 AM.

?

You've found some interesting information, Cornishboy. Photograph the diary, crash locations are difficult to pin down, but dates will help identify a loss. for example: Spitfire, crashed near cardiff! You could be onto something,

hi ian,
    So where abouts in the country are you? Iv read your previous threads,very inspiring!
    Last edited by cornishboy; 05-30-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Well, that has settled it. You've found the dump. The ribbed jars with the wide necks are meat paste jars, a common find in dumps of this kind. With rationing, this was the nearest anyone got to putting something like meat on a slice of bread !

The white jar is almost certainly Ponds cream which indicates the WAAF were there as well. The bottle back right looks like a Brylcream hairdressing lotion bottle but I can't be sure.

Certainly all the right era and just what I'd expect to see from a test dig at a dump site.

Well done ! NOW GET BACK THERE !!!!!!!

Steve T

Hi Cornis,

It sounds like a great site you have found and the bottles prove its a dump of the right age. Keep digging!!!!!!
    Allso Ian is right you need to photograph that diary that kind of information is getting harder and harder to come across because all the people who remember are passing every day.
    All the best Andy

LOL !

This thread got replied to so quickly I missed about 4 posts

Interesting stuff about the air crash sites and the diary. Be careful with these kinds of sites though as they are all classed as war graves, (even if everyone survived), and even taking a piece from the surface is liable to a very nasty fine and prison sentence !

The American camp with the roads......you need to get an MD and search it. It will be jammed with stuff. The fields where the Americans were camped.....same.

Sounds like you could do with the help of the WW2 Relic Retrieval and Preservation Group !

Steve T

Talking Re: Trevellas Airfield

Trevellas Airfield (RAF Perranporth)Wow thanks steve,iv made arrangements to be back on target later today. i also found remnants of boots, bits of thick barbed wire.iv attached a pic containing what i at first discounted as a piece of central heating pipe with a compression connector,a couple pieces of glass,left hand piece 6mm thick right hand piece 7mm tappering to 5mm lense perhaps.im learning that everything might be something
    Last edited by cornishboy; 05-30-2011 at 09:16 PM.

Default Re: Trevellas Airfield

Trevellas Airfield (RAF Perranporth)Well another trip to the dump,still a lot more to do. The case in pic one is stamped W R A C 43. pic 3 iv found a lot of these,but what are they? also found a couple of complete packs,pic2. sorry about the order.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Trevellas Airfield (RAF Perranporth)   Trevellas Airfield (RAF Perranporth)  

Trevellas Airfield (RAF Perranporth)   Trevellas Airfield (RAF Perranporth)  

Last edited by cornishboy; 05-31-2011 at 05:54 PM.

?

I think you've found lots of batterys, certainly pic three, also part of a small vice, top of pic one. I'm in Cardiff by the way. Close in a straight line, miles round the bridge.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast