Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Trevellas Airfield (RAF Perranporth)

Article about: Thats a great result and to hear you've pulled plenty of bottles is a very good sign you're definately on track. Were they beer bottles with perhaps a few table spoon marked medicines and pl

Default Re: Trevellas Airfield (RAF Perranporth)

Cornishboy,
    Now thats much better you're certainly into the right relic stuff now. The batteries come in lots of shapes and sizes and are a very common military/airfield found relic. I love your cut off .50 cal round there are lots of theory's why this occured ranging from being cut off by accident in the breech, to the beginning stage of trench art, perhaps the first part to making a lighter? No one knows for sure but they certainly crop up frequently from many varied sites.
    You have to keep going now they'll be lots more to find.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

the flat T shaped peice is a buckle clip for electrical cable

Starting to get the finds now.....good job ! You're getting closer to the relic gems

The piece of glass you have with the crimped end is the inside of a light bulb The cartridge case......is it complete or cut through. Having difficulty judging scale

Steve T

Well done with finding the dump. I'm looing forward to your future digs. GOOD LUCK!

Thanks Whitehunter, i think its going to be a long process! Steve that case is a cut off of a .303 i believe.

?

Difficult to tell without a scale but I guessed a .45 ACP case, . Looking forward to more!

Nah......it isn't a 303......the rim is all wrong. I suspect it is a .45 ACP same as ian_ . A nice find anyway, especially having a dated one. Most of the ones I dig are stamped 45AC or similar without a date.

A .45 case is relatively thin metal. If it's a cut through 50, the case metal will be a couple of mm's thick.

Steve T

Back again today for a short while.I did manage to find a few more interesting pieces today.I'm hopeing for many more in the future.Could anyone help with i.d.ing these?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Trevellas Airfield (RAF Perranporth)   Trevellas Airfield (RAF Perranporth)  

Trevellas Airfield (RAF Perranporth)   Trevellas Airfield (RAF Perranporth)  

Hi Cornishboy,
    Well done your site looks very promising.
    To me it looks like you've found the tail fin off a mortar bomb and a small section of mills hand grenade with filler cap still in place. Not sure on the other items as of yet.
    Keep it up mate.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Thanks Lucky,
    Iv got a few end pieces of mortar bombs,but only the one tail piece intact.Likewise the mills handgrenade filler caps were plentifull. The other peices in the pics shown are, i thought , interesting,although could be nothing.the first pic is a small panel made of aluminium,painted olive on one side with the letters PEAT on the top.looks modern but was in with a piece of GWR pot dated 1944. Thanks for the feedback.....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast