Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Trevellas Airfield (RAF Perranporth)

Article about: Thats a great result and to hear you've pulled plenty of bottles is a very good sign you're definately on track. Were they beer bottles with perhaps a few table spoon marked medicines and pl

?

Default Re: Trevellas Airfield (RAF Perranporth)

Not sure about the big piece, doesn't quite look right for aircraft. The label looks the right shape for a modification label but the wartime RAF only printed their labels IN CAPITAL LETTERS! Good luck with more finds, Cornishboy.

Thanks Ian, i thought id post this as i wasnt sure if it was just another lid?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Trevellas Airfield (RAF Perranporth)  

It looks quite chunky, but I think it could be a sauce bottle lid for OK sauce which was popular at that time like most sauces for jazzing up bland rationed food.
    LS

Hi there

<-------------back from holiday in Spain

I am afraid I don't agree with LS (for once ). If it was a tail fin off a mortar it would contain the propellant charge area and this clearly tapers to the end. It looks more like the tail off a practice bomb or even a bomblet as I can't judge the scale. Have you cleaned it up yet ?

Cheers

Steve T

hopefully these pics might be able to clear it up?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Trevellas Airfield (RAF Perranporth)   Trevellas Airfield (RAF Perranporth)  

It is part of the tail of an 11½ lb practice bomb. A circular mild steel section would have been tack welded on to the four fins similar to a open ended tin can.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Trevellas Airfield (RAF Perranporth)  

Corblimey! Thanks for that,its nice to see one complete to compare it to

more rubbish from the rubbish dump,at least i think its all rubbish?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Trevellas Airfield (RAF Perranporth)   Trevellas Airfield (RAF Perranporth)  

Well done with the practice fin thats a nice find. My grandad always told me about when he found a few of them on the marsh when he was a nipper he thought they were live so he told the police and they blew them up afterwards he always wished he had kept one or two

Keep on digging

John

Hi simon,
    Really nice finds mate, i have been diging trevallas for a while but not found the dump, but congrats to you for your hard work. as you said the gorse is quite thick in places, but there are many more area,s to search. i love your finds, someone mentioned the mine shafts, most shafts were only caped in the early eighties, even at R.A.F. portreath they were open, and we found parts of aircraft down them, ie, wings and engine parts. the Nancekuke area my father in law lived there
    at the end of the runway in there farm a a spit came down in one of there fields and the engine ended up by there barn, also a halifax with canadian crew crashed there on take off, all killed, my father in law had some dials from the crash site. and plenty of gun cases from there practices.
    Well done simon.
    Dave.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast