Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Tripple helmet day! plus more!!!

Article about: Nice I love the dental mirror. Have you tried it yet ? Looks like it will still do its job quite nicely Steve T

Default Re: Tripple helmet day! plus more!!!

Phew it's been some job, but I've finally got the 4 Gallon flimsy fuel container cleaned and preserved. As well as being covered in surface rust it also had a thick layer of tar across its top and congealed oil down the sides (not all bad though it helped preserve it). I'm very pleased with the end result.

These are quite rare items today, most being shipped out of the UK during WW2 for the North African campaign, I love the fact that this one is painted in a desert tan colour and much of the paint has survived. In use they were renowned for leaking because of all the seams with a common loss rate of 10% per 100 miles, not good when you think they were carrying highly flamable fuel. This design was soon superceded by the Allied copy of the German jerrycan that were captured in the desert.

Top view to show the specially designed fuel cap.

I show a couple of the sides, one has traces of the green painted number along its side and also a smaller number on the top right hand corner. I also show the seamed side for reference.

To give you an idea of scale it is stood next to a period Jerrycan type, that replaced it in use.

This enameled measuring cup was actually dug from another tip that contained pretty much only WW2 US medical Corp equipment. But Im showing it here because.......

...digging with WH at the weekend I found this and the style of enamelling with black around the lip and even the font of the markings looked from memory like the previous picture. Because of this I retained it to clean it up and compare when I got home. Shame about the condition but its definately the same style....

..but then I turned it over and was well happy to see USN (United States Navy)!

A couple of other small finds, a standard War Department large tea mug and the remains of a small bakelite torch.

Stadium British made torch.

That's it for now.

LUCKYSTRIKE

Nice work LS. The flimsy looks good and I totally love the enamel mug

Steve T

Great stuff. I really like the Flimsy can.

Cheers, Ade.

I have now cleaned and preserved a couple more of my weekend finds.

First up is a nicely marked lead acid accumulator battery, this was made by FORD and is quite large and very heavy. It was manufactured in January 1940, at that time Britain had been at War 4 months the so called phoney war period. Could this be from a military vehicle? perhaps a small lorry.
    When found this was ingrained with rust stains and actually had the remains of large tins rusted onto it, so its come up quite well considering.

Now the US M1 fixed bale helmet. As I was sorting this one out I kept wondering 'when is a relic just too far gone, to be worth the effort to restore?'. But 'I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder!' and as this was my first dug US hemet I persevered. I actually enjoyed the process and learnt a few technics along the way. It is now as strong and stable as I can get it without affecting its appearance and will be good for a few more years yet.

Part of the top has been bent up like a metal flap like it has suffered a small explosion from underneath or more likely had a pickaxe thrust through it by some GI before it was dumped?

Close up of the fixed bale.

Thats all for now.

LUCKYSTRIKE

I think you have done a fantastic job cleaning the M1 Helmet. You have also done a great job cleaning the battery.

John

Hi guys,

Heres the torch i found almost finished cleaning it

BECHTOLD
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tripple helmet day! plus more!!!   Tripple helmet day! plus more!!!  

Tripple helmet day! plus more!!!   Tripple helmet day! plus more!!!  

WH,
    Thats come up really good, I love the colour and even though you've improved its appearance it still retains the relic look. What a shame it can't talk, hopefully someone will know how to trace the records of the guy.
    Cheers
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Awesome!

Nice find congrats.

I've finally cleaned the remaining finds from the last site visit.

This picture (and the last which is out of order) is a 'Civilian Protective' Helmet also known as a 'Fire Watchers' or 'Zuckerman' lid. It's hard to imagine the bravery needed by the men or women wearing these whilst sat on the roof's of factory's during bombing raids a thin steel helmet their only protection!

A military belt hook?, made by Mills (I wonder if that's the Mills of Grenades fame?) I particularily like the trade mark of a Cartridge and Bullet and below that the dates of the early patents.

The remains of a standard civilian gas mask, most of the rubber mask has perished away but a little remains attached to the filter housing (Ive sealed it will PVA glue). It was found with the gas ointment tubes which were perhaps with it when dumped.

This is a piece of light weight, probably aero alloy, I like the original paint. Notice the single wooden draught piece recovered next to it.

...and finally an odd find, a silver flower vial for a single stem flower. Its very thin and was a little scrunched up when found. I found hall marks on its base but they're so worn I can't make out any detail.

Thats it until next time
    Thank You.

LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tripple helmet day! plus more!!!  

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast