Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Unknown folding shovel

Article about: Hi there I am back we start to destroy ruined house next to our house we found there a lot of old metal mostly agricultural equipment but we found there I think that it is bayonet case it is

Default Re: Unknown folding shovel

I use a "repro" handle (a varnished leg off an old chair with suitable dimensions) because mine lacked the handle too, but i'll try to find a photo with an original one these days.

Got a proper picture! This is what i belive an original handle... You could make out the dimensions pretty easy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown folding shovel  

Many thanks for pic. I was trying to unstuck folding mechanizm with pipe as you say but blade started to deform and move
    I think that best way would be remove the blade unstuck mechanizm and weld the blade back.

Well... If you leave the mechanism to soak in some penetrating oil/wd-40/diesel/brake fluid for a couple of days, even a week (won't go anywhere anyway...), it might get loose again.

But if it's still stuck after all this, i don't think it's worth any more effort... It's just an old entrenching tool and you might keep it as is, a relic, in the collection. Maybe one day you will find a better specimen that can be used as initially intended.

Maybe it's better to concentrate on making the helmet presentable again. Using electricity might be the answer. Good luck.

?

Use the electrolysis method of rust removal & then use a 50/50 mix of acetone & ATF on the hinge.

Cleaned again this time with vinegar
    A lot of rust gone mainly from hinge and some grey color appeared is it original color or what is it ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown folding shovel   Unknown folding shovel  

Another find this time in old barn not far from our house. It is ammo box but I am not sure if it is ww2 or post war model.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown folding shovel   Unknown folding shovel  

Unknown folding shovel   Unknown folding shovel  

Have a close look for any stampings on the ammo box.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Some people obtained good results by putting rusty dug items on a open flame. Due to a chemical process which is rather difficult to explain for me in english, the rust will be transformed and the mechanism may unlock. Another option is to use an excellent product called Evapo-Rust. It won't damage your relic too.
    Regards

Matt

I do some search and that ammo can should be a CZECH zb 37

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast