Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

unknown for me

Article about: Hi Maris, The drum you have found is 'Feldkabel'. It would have consisted of two cables of copper cored, galvanized steel armoured cable that was rubber coated. Each cable was 400m long, the

Default unknown for me

Hi.is there somebody who can tell what for is this unknown piece.....!Just recently found in sandy bunker in 1,5 m deep.unbelieveble condition for 60 years in ground.please help identify.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture unknown for me   unknown for me  

unknown for me   unknown for me  

unknown for me  

Default Re: unknown for me

rubber is CONTINENTAL made

Hi mate , at a guess i would say its for the winding on of some sort of cable or hose may be , my guess , cheers Raymond

Quote by ironcross1 View Post
    Hi mate , at a guess i would say its for the winding on of some sort of cable or hose may be , my guess , cheers Raymond
    Hi Raymond.thankyou for your opinion.the same thoughts in my mind. happy hunting to you-Maris

it is for some sort of cable, but i don't think it's for telephone wire. you know what I mean? the one that infantry carried.

john75
    ?

I have seen spools like this before. I believe it would have been for the rapid deployment of phone cable in the field. I rather doubt it would have been for barbed wire or anything of small guage.

thankyou john75.how is weather in Keswick.my thouts is that this piece had two ways to use-1:from armored vehicle 2:rolling by hand(manual.perhaps COMRADES has som ww2 pictures,photos-with this piece in action.thankyou for your assistance

john75
    ?

Dear Ostanddigger,

Don't metion it. The weather here is just fine...very hot indeed! I think your relic would have been manually operated. Judging from the rubber 'tires', I would think the cable would be spooled-out simply by having a couple of men roll the device. I am sure there are pics out there that would give you a definitive answer. Good luck.

john75

Hi,

I believe it might be one of the data communication cable drums from a German FLAK 8.8cm Kannone. Each gun had 2 of these

Hi thats a lovely find, it's in great condition, lots of original paint. Here's a photo of one in use (it's behind the spoked wheel). Sadly I don't know it's exact use other than it carried a heavy gauge cable and could lay it, the gauge suggests cable able to take a strong electric current. My guess is probably used in conjunction with a powerful field generator. Perhaps to connect to a headquarters or command position or perhaps even a Flak search light battery. It has to be something requiring a large electrical supply.
    Hope this helps.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture unknown for me  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast