Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown WW2 item

Article about: A friend of mine has asked if i can identify an item found on a ww2 training range. I do not know myself, so was wondering if anyone has any ideas? Thanks Jimbo

?

Default Unknown WW2 item

A friend of mine has asked if i can identify an item found on a ww2 training range. I do not know myself, so was wondering if anyone has any ideas? Thanks Jimbo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown WW2 item   Unknown WW2 item  

Default Re: Unknown WW2 item

Hi Jimbo, it is a PIAT fuse holder. These were clipped to the fins of the PIAT bomb.

Cheers, Ade.

See here for a pic:

British P.I.A.T.,Projector Infantry Anti Tank, WWII - Inert-Ord.net

Make sure there is not a fuse in the container.

Cheers, Ade.

You clever sod Ade, you amazed me again.
    dave.

I found three PIAT rounds in a rack with the fuses attached to the fins about 25 years ago. The ring that keeps the top part connected to the bottom part was loose so we were able to seperate them and wash out the charge. Back then we were young and stupid, nowadays I would run and contact the German EOD. I guess you learn with time! Danny

Danny

What's worse is that the charge in a PIAT round is based on Prussic acid......Which is the acidic form of HCN, Hydrogen Cyanide. So basically you washed a load of Cyanide out of a metal cylinder.

I think you did extremely well to not only NOT get blown to pieces, but also to not suffer a serious case of death due to cyanide poisoning !

A warning to all.....if you find an unexploded PIAT round get the HELL away from it ! If you smell almonds it's probably already TOO LATE !

That's my top tip for the week ..... and one I learnt from Ade

Steve T

Hi there found the same fuze about 2 years ago near Tripsrath in Germany and didnt know what it was. I was very lucky when I opened it, the fuze suddenly made a load crack and then started to fizz quite violently. Other than being toxic as one of the members pointed out it could easily be initiated just by air alone as they are very sensitive. I was lucky not to loose my fingers so now treat any unidentified items with great respect. Other than that it is an unusual and nice find. Have you found any other interesting items on the ranges recently. I used to search some ranges in Scotland and found some live grenades and mortat rounds.

Rgds John

Quote by john647 View Post
    Hi there found the same fuze about 2 years ago near Tripsrath in Germany and didnt know what it was. I was very lucky when I opened it, the fuze suddenly made a load crack and then started to fizz quite violently. Other than being toxic as one of the members pointed out it could easily be initiated just by air alone as they are very sensitive. I was lucky not to loose my fingers so now treat any unidentified items with great respect. Other than that it is an unusual and nice find. Have you found any other interesting items on the ranges recently. I used to search some ranges in Scotland and found some live grenades and mortat rounds.

Rgds John
    Was that in Dorset Wood John?

[Yes it was in Dorset wood also found the live PIAT round aswell. Have searched that area several times and found some small items but nothing spectacular. It has been well gone over now I believe!QUOTE=Airborne125;88194]Was that in Dorset Wood John?[/QUOTE]

Thanks John, i have been in that wood and other woods in that area. Good memories.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast