Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Unkown huge bomb. NEED IDENTIFICATION!

Article about: If you cannot see that the inside of this shell is empty, you have to assume it is live. The side pocket fuzes are very worrying as one is likely to be an anti-tamper fuze, and the other cou

Ok guys. Thanx a lot for your interest! I met the owner today and had some talk about the shell. He told me that is totally empty in the inside. He also told me that he thinks if it might be post war. It's more likely to be WW2 era Italian naval shell though. It used to have an outside layer of the material shown at the updated attached photo. He removed it all except the one shown in the photo (he formed Leros on the shell!). So the fact that the shell used to have an extra layer might be helpful. We couldn't go and measure the diameter. I'll try to do so soon.Please check the new photo below and the Leros shape (in order to admire the style/idea of forming Leros on a shell found in Leros).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unkown huge bomb. NEED IDENTIFICATION!   Unkown huge bomb. NEED IDENTIFICATION!  

Leros map...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unkown huge bomb. NEED IDENTIFICATION!  

?

Enter the known shape and dimensions into Ordata and see if you can come up with something that matches:

http://maic.jmu.edu/ordata/search.asp

Quote by Paul B View Post
    Enter the known shape and dimensions into Ordata and see if you can come up with something that matches:

http://maic.jmu.edu/ordata/search.asp
    Paul B, your info was very helpful! I was not aware of this site. I'll measure the diameter tommorow and i'll come up with a result soon, i guess. Thanx a lot mate.

Is it just a camera trick or does this shell with the carving look totally different from the original one in post #1? The first one showed a straight wall right down to the base, but this one has a Tapered base? Are we looking at 2 different shells or just one?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Is it just a camera trick or does this shell with the carving look totally different from the original one in post #1? The first one showed a straight wall right down to the base, but this one has a Tapered base? Are we looking at 2 different shells or just one?
    The same one. It's just a shot i didn't upload. Tell me your thoughts please..

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Ah, now i understood what you just said. I think that the angle of the shot make the shell look more conical.. It's just the same like the other side i've upload.

?

For me it look like rocket warhead...

Talking

Quote by crites1234 View Post
    thats what the raf thought when they mistakenly displayed A live Grand Slam bomb as a gate guardian at RAF Scampton for nearly fifteen years before the mistake was realised. It was gingerly removed (by crane and low-loader) to the test range at Shoeburyness, where it was detonated
    Reminds me of.......

' Give it a good 'ard 'un, Bert - you can generally hear 'em fizzing a bit first before they explode !'

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4