Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Unusual question: is there paranormal activity in Kurland?

Article about: I wasn,t sure whether to put this in or not but one morning when I went into my toy room (Thats what the wife calls it) there lying on the chair was a Map of Berlin with Hitler on the back o

AIF
    ?

Default Re: Unusual question: is there paranormal activity in Kurland?

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    lol, it was between that or a paperclip

Seriously though, they have had break ins there before. One time some guy threw a brick through the window and stole the tv out of the waiting room. Another time somebody stole a wheelchair.
    A wheelchair?? LOL

But seriously It never ceases to amaze me what lowlifes will steal... I mean come on the TV I can understand but who the hell steals a wheelchair?

I have been in Kurland and also other battlefields and even spent some nights there. Nothing happened. Forests are always full of all kind of noises we are not used to hear in the cities - wind, trees, wild animals, birds... For example an owl can cry like a baby and it is really scary nose. Maybe I'm just too sceptical but I do not belive in ghosts.

I have 3-4 stories with no reasonable explanation but none of them is military connected!!!

Quote by AIF View Post
    A wheelchair?? LOL

But seriously It never ceases to amaze me what lowlifes will steal... I mean come on the TV I can understand but who the hell steals a wheelchair?
    The same ones that stole from my friend's house a pack of pasta and the gardening hose from their backyard! Plus they got a shaving machine without the charger... WTF!!!!!!!

Quote by LizardKing View Post
    The same ones that stole from my friend's house a pack of pasta and the gardening hose from their backyard! Plus they got a shaving machine without the charger... WTF!!!!!!!
    I knew this thing needed a charger!!!

?

Quote by geelong View Post
    with some hauntings it a way of seeing or feeling something from the past.
    A whole new take on "What we do in life, echoes an eternity" - Maximus

keep the stories coming, it's 2PM in the afternoon, the sun is bright and I've got hairs standing reading this thread!

The only strange/unexplained thing that happened to me was about 27 years ago when my eldest daughter was a toddler, we had moved into a rundown council flat in the town centre and i was alone in the flat watching a late night film.
    I was sat watching the television while enjoying a few cans of beer when i noticed something moving in the corner of my eye, i turned to see my daughters little rocking chair rocking on it's own, being a fairly logical person i thought it was a draught causing it to move, i checked around the windows and doors but i could feel no draught, i looked at the chair and it was no longer moving so i shrugged my shoulders and carried on watching the film. A few minutes later i noticed it rocking again so stood up and put my hand on it to stop it rocking and could feel a definite resistance, as it stopped moving i heard a crashing noise in the bedroom and when i entered the bedroom i found the mirror on the dressing table had shattered.
    Nothing else strange happened in the remaining few years we lived there, but i later found out the last tenent had been found dead and decomposing in the hallway and he was described as an eccentric recluse!..

And no i wasn't blind drunk!..

I seem to to lots of people who have had strange experiences. My wife when she was a child was with her younger sister and dad driving along the river Trent in Notts. What her dad describes as an American ww2 bomber came low over the river and over the top of the car. All three looked for it to reappear but it just dissapered. They also used to have a couple of cats. One of these cats used to sleep on the stairs. This cat died. However the remaining cat would walk down the stairs and as it walked down it would move to the other side as it got to a certain step as though something was blocking its path.
    My sister is currently having problems in her house. Nothing major just unexplainable. The other week she was leaving the house with her two children. She dropped a wooden hanger down the back of a chest of draws. She left it there as it was too much hassle to drag out the draws, get it and put it back. When she returned later on the hangar was sat on the draws. No one had been in the house and only her and her children knew that she had dropped it down the back. My sister would not make something like this up and she cannot explain it.

I will take the opportunity to share my little stories since the topic went away from just military connected odd encounters!
    Firstly i would like to start with a story of a friend of mine! He (lets call him John) was at the Greek - Bulgarian borders for metal detecting. The scenery there is thick forest and very ofter there is a thick layer of fog covering everything. Imagine the scene... No houses, roads etc etc just John in the middle of a creepy forest with fog starting to fall! When he realised the fog will soon make him unable to dig or to find his way back he started packing his equipment to leave the area. Sadly the fog covered everything very fast and finding the way back was very hard so he kinda lost his way in the midle of nowhere... At this point i have to mention that at this location during WW1 heavy battles between Greek and Bulgarian forces took place and the massacre the occured was often called "The second Verdun"... Let's go on with the story, when he tried to find his way back he suddenly realised he heard men whispering. He tried to leave and then saw 3-4 men whith some old time military clothing parts on them moving towards him among the trees! His mind never thought that these men were something else so he asked them the way back and they responded "Hello son, go this way and you will find the way out! Take care and don't come up here alone because it is very dangerous". He thanked them and left! When he returned home realised that these guys had something odd surounding them! First of all they had no sheep or other animals with them, secondary they were very calm seeing a lone person in the middle of the forest and the fog like they see things like this happen all the time! Third their clothing reminded him parts of the gear the Greek army of the time the battle occured had! Plus the nearest village where shepherds and sheep might live was miles away... That was his story and noone can tell for sure what these men were...

Now i would like to tell you my non-military story! I grow up in a village in Greece that urban legends for ghosts and dark spells were very often among the young boys! So when i was a kid i have heard this rumor for my elementary school... The building of my school is very old so the toilets are placed outside, at the other end of the huge football and basketball courts! Plus it is placed under the courts, so you have to go down a few stairs to reach it. There supposed that a little girl had died many many years ago and her spirit was haunting the toilets!!! That was the story that we, little children, told each other to scare the sh*t out of the girls, so we could be the brave ones, but secretly noone went down there alone! After many years and after we grew up i and some friends decided to go finaly down there and see what was that that scared us to death when we were kids! We decided to visit the place late in the night when no light would be on so noone will see us enter the old building! We said that we will have no flashlights to make our little adventure more vivid! So we were there holding hands because we could barely see our noses and we started to walk down the first steps of the stairway when we heard that noise!!!!!!! The only way i can describe it is like someone took a teacher's desk, threw it against the wall and as it fell hit a pile of other desks and all together colapsed, coming from the toilets beneath us! Can you even imagine how loud was the noise coming from a closed area as underground toilets in the middle of the night???? This is when we froze, stared the pitch black in front of us, turned around and run like hell outside the building!!!! When we were safe started talking about it and the only logical solution that crossed our minds is that some poor cat or dog was there, heard us and as it run away some stored desks fell down! So we had to go back the next morning to check what was in that creepy toilets... We managed to go down and searched the whole area! There was not a single desk nor anything else that could be moved or thrown away! Just the marbles of the toilets and the doors!

So i haven't find any logical answer on what caused that tremendous sound!!!!

Let me tell you another short one...
    Last summer i was in my village that mentioned before and i with a friend were walking our way home late in the night! We passed by an old abandoned house near a very old and creepy church. My friend turned and told me ,half serious half laughing, that in that house used to live an old lady that used to kill young boys like us! I laughed too and turned around to yell to the old lady that we managed to escape her claws and passed under her house safely! When i turned my head backwards to yell at the place where the old lady was supposed to be, i saw her right in the very middle of the road just a few meters right were we have passed half a minute ago! She was wearing a white satin old fashioned pyjama (the ones that look like a wedding dress). I never managed to yell at her what i wanted because i have never felt so scared in my life!! My feet froze, my voice couldn't came out and i felt a cold down my backbone! When my friend realized that i have turned my head backwards and stood still he saw the woman too, grabed my jacket and this is when i managed to move and we started running away!!!!! When we run out of breath stoped to talk about WTF was that we just saw!!!! The next morning we found out that in this house lives a half crazy old woman that comes out of her house in the middle of the night to feed the cats of the neighborhood!!!!!! She scared the sh*t out of us and she just wanted to feed the cats!!!!!

These are my three stories. I hope you like them aand sorry for the long post!

Another recurring story relates to technical equipment that refuses to work in certain locations. I hear similar stories on every expedition. If you find something really interesting in situ, you get your gear to take a picture or shoot some film but for whatever reason and disregarding a fresh charge or batteries, the camera refuses to work. Sometimes this can be a blessing in disguise though: one time the diggers had been out on expedition and found nothing. If I remember correctly, they passed this small knoll many times on previous expeditions but never got a hit on the detectors. Thus, the location seemed uninteresting. However, if I remember correctly they passed this particular place again at some point and someone's camera started to malfunction. A temporary stop was called for and while the person was mucking about with the offending camera, the others started to detect in the vicinity to have something to do. Lo and behold, the same knoll they'd passed on so many occasions before yielded its secret: one digger (probably the same one who always finds the good stuff...) got a signal so they started digging. As the knoll was quite sandy and easy to dig out, they found a soviet soldier with both numbered medals and letters to help in identification. Later it turned out the ex MIA was from the Ukraine and after careful research in close cooperation with the Russian authorities, they found out that his wife (who never remarried after the war and was still waiting for his husband to return) as well as one of his sons were still alive. After contacting the family, the soldier was thus duly brought back after 60+ years and buried in the same village he had lived in with his family before the war.

The final story for today is not really a ghost story but rather relates to a German Machinegunner we retrieved on one of my very first expeditions. As always, we were walking through a forest somewhere, looking to get a signal on the detectors. Suddenly someone got his foot caught on something and stumbled. As it turns out, we discovered his foot had caught on a machinegun belt complete with previous owner and the lower half of his id tag. When we continued our expedition later from that spot we came across what had probably killed him: a long line of spent casings from an II-2...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast