Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

US Army Dump 2nd Dig Finds.

Article about: Heres just a few pictures of some of the items found today. What i thought was really nice was the 37mm shell case base found by Simon which looks like it was used as n ashtray. What type of

Default Re: US Army Dump 2nd Dig Finds.

Hi Steve..
    You've got some really nice finds there..
    You're always welcome to dig along side. When I dig I always take out a big hole, first digging to the bottom of the tip (around 1m where I was) then pushing forward filling in behind. I work on the assumption 'the more soil I shift the more finds I'll make!', it usually pays off but its hard work, I'm paying for it now!
    I particularly like your brown stoppered (poison) bottles and the perfect .50 Cal bullet, your scalpel and the bone braces, Jimpy is correct in his assumption. They're in great condition, a sure sign of quality steel, I'm hoping someone can identify the ref number.
    Your clamp is interesting, I'm not sure of it's scale but perhaps it was used to control the flow of fluids through tubing, maybe the wheel was to adjust the width of the hole? Sadly I have no ideas on your other items.
    Finally Several cartridges have been found at the site, Whitehunter and me both found .50 cal cases this time, .30 cal have also been found, last time my 20mm Oelikon round and Tim said he'd found 20mm cases there before and of course the 37mm trench art piece. We're now thinking, following the last dig and the number of M1 carbine mags found (30 between just me and Whitehunter only keeping the best) that there must be some fired cases for these also.
    All the best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

andrewafv
    ?

Thanks for a great day again - thoroughly enjoyable introduction to digging and have the bramble scars to prove it! Any particular reason to think the 37mm round is from an aircraft cannon rather than an ATG round?

Have traced back the makers of the crockery - intact views on their collectors site.

Andrew afv

Andrew afv

Many thanks for that. Can you post the link up in a reply to save us searching ? Thanks.

On another very interesting note, Andrew has also discovered that there was a POW camp on or very close to our site. I have gone through the POW camp records and South Littleton does indeed appear (either as camp 277 or 655 depending on which reference source you use). This is VERY interesting to me as I have made many exciting German relic discoveries on the sites of old POW camps in the past. Hopefully we can pinpoint the exact location and give the area a good going over with an MD or two.

Cheers

Steve T

?

Quote by Steve T View Post
    On another very interesting note, Andrew has also discovered that there was a POW camp on or very close to our site. I have gone through the POW camp records and South Littleton does indeed appear (either as camp 277 or 655 depending on which reference source you use). This is VERY interesting to me as I have made many exciting German relic discoveries on the sites of old POW camps in the past. Hopefully we can pinpoint the exact location and give the area a good going over with an MD or two.

Cheers

Steve T
    That would be a very interesting site to go over and I would love to be involved in it.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA:Jimpy

Some fantastic items "Steve T" !
    Love everything!
    You should take a sip of one of the bottles, just taste it for ID purposes (NOT!!!!)

Hi Guys,

There are some cracking finds you've got there!! What's the betting the ampoules contain morphine!!

Trippin', Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi all,
    Cleaned the 37mm ashtray, and now that my net connection is working, here are the numbers on the base:-

LOT 1
    22099 - 3 NESCO
    37MM.M(slightly bigger)66(very very faint (?))

Regards to all, Simon.
    Oh, count me in on searching the POW camp

Quote by shadowwolf View Post
    Hi all,
    Cleaned the 37mm ashtray, and now that my net connection is working, here are the numbers on the base:-

LOT 1
    22099 - 3 NESCO
    37MM.M(slightly bigger)66(very very faint (?))

Regards to all, Simon.
    Oh, count me in on searching the POW camp
    Great finds everyone! Glad you all enjoyed the day! Cant remember who found the Guard Dog skull but thats cleaned up beautifully and will keep it. The 37mm shell case base is almost certainly from a 37mmx145 as used in the US Airacobras 37mm cannon, but how did it get there??? Its deffo not Army 37mm or Naval 37mm as headstamps are wrong so i can confirm the Airacobra theory. Brilliant and look forward to the next one guys! Regards, Tim.

Thanks for checking the numbers Tim. I have not had a chance to check them myself yet, so thanks for taking the time away from your new gun to have a look for me.
    Cheers, Simon

Tim,
    It was Whitehunter (John) that dug the dog skull next to me, he said it 'scared the living day lights out of him, uncovering that!!!'. Its an interesting and unusual piece of Militaria.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast