Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

US Army Dump 2nd Dig Finds.

Article about: Heres just a few pictures of some of the items found today. What i thought was really nice was the 37mm shell case base found by Simon which looks like it was used as n ashtray. What type of

Default Re: US Army Dump 2nd Dig Finds.

Tim,

He is still watching over the memorial

Regards to all, Simon.

Quote by shadowwolf View Post
    Tim,
    If the German shepherd was a trained attack/guard dog this may explain its possibly being destroyed when the place was shut down. It may not have been possible to re-home. I have heard that some 'war dogs' used by US forces were put down, as they were trained attack dogs and not possible to be intergrated into homes as pets. For further info look for a documentary by Nat Geo (?) called "War Dogs of the Pacific".

By the way, I feel that we have put far to much info on the web as to the location of the dig site, and future sites. This could lead to site vandalism etc.

Regards to all, Simon.
    Some well good points there Simon. I think now the serious diggers know where the location is we should remove the address details from the threads-can this be done??? As we dont want to draw unwanted attention. Saying that anyone spotted in Mrs B's field without permission will be reported straight away as Unipart have had major problems with thieves and get wary if they see people in the nearby fields and they often phone Mrs B to see if they should be there. Still think we should delete location details now. Regards, Tim.

Quote by shadowwolf View Post
    Tim,

He is still watching over the memorial

Regards to all, Simon.
    I recall when he was alive he had this big hut there and he would come there few times in the summer with family and they would stay there. But poor old guy had major probs with two village retards who kept using the hut as a target for their air rifles! The place was peppered all over which made the old guy very grouchy to approach. Its sad state now building is all falling apart and memorial all overgrown. There are many pathways around the small coppice where the site lies and where small huts would have once stood. There is probably a fair few bits under the ground on the site. But yes i reckon the old guy is still very much a strong presence there as he loved the place so this small brass plaque says. The Honeybourne airfield is also haunted!! In one of the big units one guy saw a chap in what looked like air force uniform walk into an office, the guy went in to say "who are you" etc and the figure went through the wall!!! A young woman and man both in uniform are sometimes also seen walking along the road in the dark. As one guy years ago nearly hit em and stopped to tell em so only to find they had vanished!!! Great stuff this and makes it all the more interesting. Regards, Tim.

Tim,

Yes I feel the whole project would be made a lot more safe from unwanted digging if the address details, plus guides if how to get to the site were deleted from this and earlier threads

Regards to all, Simon.

shadowwolf

This is one of the sites listing POW camps;

POW Camps in UK - 1 to 50

And here is another which is slightly easier to search.

BRIDGEND GERMAN POW CAMP, ISLAND FARM CAMP 198 / SPECIAL CAMP XI

One guy had posted up a research project on the POW camps in UK but it appears to have been taken down Lucky for me I printed it off when I found it and didn't just book mark the page ! This was the best one as it told you if anything was left and where to find them !

Cheers

Steve T

Hi everyone
    Well done on your finds last weekend sorry i couldnt come that time.
    I think Simon is right the Address and other info should be removed from all threads now. Iv had one of my sites looted a few years back and believe me its not nice. I tend to only take the most interesting stuff home and take the rest when im in the mood. One day i turned up to one of my sites and all of the glass bottles i had been putting to one side were all broken and the site had been very roughly dug over and left in a right state. Its NOT nice!!!
    Andy

Hi Simon,
    Ive just checked through the list and Im sorry to say no POW camps appear for Chelmsford as at 20th Feb 1947 (when the list was compiled). So it had probably been shut down by then.
    All the best
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Steve T,
    Cheers for posting the links, I've searched them and can not find the one I'm looking for listed within.
    There is a Military Archeologist working for Essex Council by the name of Fred Nash who has published some papers on ww2 defence sites still remaining in Essex. Fred Nash briefley mentions the POW site that I'm looking for, but not its exact location. Hopefully my mate Cyril's wife's memory is correct, and its location is under a sports field that I have been pointed to
    Regards to all, Simon.

Luckstrike,
    Thanks for checking. From what I understand there are a lot of POW camps that are not listed, but thanks for looking for me
    Regards Simon.

Andy,
    Sorry to hear about your site and the bottles being trashed. We should learn from this with the US dump site and not advertise to much info on directions.
    Regards to all, Simon.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast