Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

US Army Dump 2nd Dig Finds.

Article about: Heres just a few pictures of some of the items found today. What i thought was really nice was the 37mm shell case base found by Simon which looks like it was used as n ashtray. What type of

Default Re: US Army Dump 2nd Dig Finds.

I have removed the location address from the other thread Those that need to know now do so.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade

Ade,
    Cheers. Better safe than sorry, as they say.
    Regards to all, Simon.

Yes thanks for your prompt action Ade.

Hi Tim,
    You said 'Its a sad state now building is all falling apart and memorial all overgrown' So I thought when we come over for the weekend camping do, I'll bring my sheers and in the evening go over and chop the weeds and tidy up around the site, with that old Guy gone it seems theres no one left to do it and sadly overgrown sites soon get forgotten, covered in rubbish, vandalised and eventually disappear.
    Cheers
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Quote by LUCKYSTRIKE View Post
    Yes thanks for your prompt action Ade.

Hi Tim,
    You said 'Its a sad state now building is all falling apart and memorial all overgrown' So I thought when we come over for the weekend camping do, I'll bring my sheers and in the evening go over and chop the weeds and tidy up around the site, with that old Guy gone it seems theres no one left to do it and sadly overgrown sites soon get forgotten, covered in rubbish, vandalised and eventually disappear.
    Cheers
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Im up for that aswell if i can make the camp over. Its a great idea!!!

Quote by 381st digger View Post
    Firstly cheers Ade for removing the address and location details of the dump area, as now we know between ourselves where it is it is no longer necessary to have the details up.
    That little Polish camp would be worth a visit and if the owners son happens to be there we can ask him the history on it as he has been there on the odd occassion i have been past it. It was a sorry state last time i went there though, two particular village idiots had caused a lot of damage there but they could not be prosecuted as they were classed as 'backward'-how convienient isnt it? On one occassion i was there i found several .303 fired cases. These were full date cases so were of RAF origin and may well have been fired from bombers firing at target drones which i was told was commonplace around the vale of Evesham back in WW2. In fact over the lenches there is a well known story of one bullet going completely astray went earthward and killed a pig in a sty on a farm!! Church Lench near Evesham was well known for this as old locals recall hearing spent cases clattering down on their rooftops. My mothers uncle lived there and he gave me a few of the cases years ago but like so many treasures they are now long gone. Also the fields in and around Lenchwick i was told are good source of WW2 inert practice bombs dropped there by the RAF. Only problem is our local museum would not divulge which field they are most commonly found in so i could not even ask landowner for permission to go there. Oh well cant have it all our own way can we? One thing i am sure of is that one of these days something pretty big will turn up on that US Army dump site. I hope our team are the ones that find it. Regards, Tim.

Quote by 381st digger View Post
    That would be a nice gesture and its only around couple of miles away from Mrs Bomfords if that, so that would be great idea!

Tim,
    As long as I can get there for the event, count me in on the clear up as well
    I'll bring my shears and get a scythe.
    Regards to all, Simon.

Quote by Falschirmjager View Post
    ............ several .303 fired cases. These were full date cases so were of RAF origin .........
    Tim

I have heard this theory before, that full date cases were RAF and 2 digit cases were Army. However, I have found both full and 2 digit dated cases on the gunnery range I visit, in an area only used by the army. Indeed, I have found a great many full date cartridges (303) with Bren gun firing pin marks.

I do not hold with this theory that 4 digit were RAF etc.... because of my finds over the past few years. Indeed, on the RAF base I go to, the 303's are a mix of 2 and 4 digit dates.

I would not assume that because they are full date they were dropped from an aircraft. Just as likely they were fired from an LE or Bren.

Cheers

Steve T

?

If it doesnt clash with anything pre-planned count me in Tim.

Simon, if I'm available, and you cant get a lift from your side of town, Im happy to do the taxi run again on the same terms as last weekend.

Regards etc.

Ian D.
    Last edited by jimpy; 06-03-2010 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Addition

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast