Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

US Army Dump Dig AUGUST DATE??

Article about: by jimpy I have typed the wording down exactly as I can read it off the stencil. If I cant make out a letter/number, I have put a ? in place. Thanks Ian, These are in the list as: 3788900 Su

Default Re: US Army Dump Dig AUGUST DATE??

Quote by Steve T View Post
    I think the date is great BUT......surely we could get a visit in before then as well ?

Don't forget guys that this is a public forum and it is not beyond the realms of possibility that the place is being cleared as we write !

I would suggest an earlier trip, maybe around 20th - 27th June.

Cheers

Steve T
    Dont think there is any danger of that Steve as anyone who wants to go there will need permission from Mrs Bomford as its on her land. Junes out for me as we move in June so i wouldnt be able to commit just in case. Thought a Bank Hols dig would be better for those who have to travel from as far as London etc. Regards, Tim.

Quote by shadowwolf View Post
    Tim, how about getting permission to dig round the old runways and service areas?
    Regards, Simon.
    Hi Simon, Thats a good idea but maybe difficult as various areas belong to different businesses on the site now and not all under one company or anything. What id suggest is if we can arrange weekend dig for August Bank Hols i could get Sarah to drive me over to the industrial park and ask round the place and secure permit to metal detect around as many as poss, can only say no cant they. If they agree i will get permission in writing. Would be a good idea if someone knew the exact locations of the best areas to search and ask the owners of those particular sections. Either way im sure we can sort something and get a nose on the airfield area itself as part of a weekender. Whats everyone think?? Tim.

?

Jimpy, you going ? Great, I'll bring me chair, sit back, and let 'The Engineers' do all the hard work
    On a serious note, do you think we can put our plan into action by then, and get some 'well fit staff in bikinis' to do the digging for us, with us sitting back whilst the finds are brought to us
    Regards to all, Simon.
    Agreed on ALL points Simon!
    (Dont know what our wives would say about us getting the female engineers in bikinis though, actually, cancel that, I DO know what my wife would say!)

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

?

Quote by Falschirmjager View Post
    Hi Simon, Thats a good idea but maybe difficult as various areas belong to different businesses on the site now and not all under one company or anything. What id suggest is if we can arrange weekend dig for August Bank Hols i could get Sarah to drive me over to the industrial park and ask round the place and secure permit to metal detect around as many as poss, can only say no cant they. If they agree i will get permission in writing. Would be a good idea if someone knew the exact locations of the best areas to search and ask the owners of those particular sections. Either way im sure we can sort something and get a nose on the airfield area itself as part of a weekender. Whats everyone think?? Tim.

Sounds good to me Tim

Regards etc

Ian D

The airfield sounds good but aren't we forgetting the tip is still stuffed full, there's loads still to go at and we don't even need the detector. I would stay on the tip if you all head off to the airfield because so much is still coming out.
    If permission can be gained then yes lets go for the airfield but later after the tip starts getting tired. I took away 2 carrier bags of finds this weekend and I cant ever remember finding that much in a days detecting.
    Tim the weekend event will be great and I look forward to it in Aug but would it be possible for another one day go prior to this and ot'll be easier to organise?.
    Just a thought, but for the weekend event does anyone have a generator?, not only could it be used for lighting but maybe we could rig up some sort of portable DVD or Film show. Something in keeping with the weekend like Butt plug Girls (joke weekend banter), I mean Memphis Belle, Battle of Britain or Bridge to Far, be nice whilst eating barbi sippin beer and identifying finds. My re enactment group have done this in the past and it makes for a good evening. Just a thought.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Army Dump Dig AUGUST DATE??  

Luckstrike, I agree with you with regards to digging the dump. Looking at google earth, we were in the corner of the field, we have the rest of the hedge to dig along.
    Sometime in the future we should consider seeking permission for the technical areas of the airfield.
    Tim, what are the barracks used for these days ? would be nice to have a hunt round them
    Anyone found out, and put a name to, where all the medical equipment came from ?
    Regards to all, Simon.

Luckstrike, I agree with you with regards to digging the dump. Looking at google earth, we were in the corner of the field, we have the rest of the hedge to dig along.
    Sometime in the future we should consider seeking permission for the technical areas of the airfield.
    Tim, what are the barracks used for these days ? would be nice to have a hunt round them
    Anyone found out, and put a name to, where all the medical equipment came from ?
    Regards to all, Simon.
    Hi Simon, As far as i can remember some of the smaller huts on the site are empty but most of the other buildings are used for storage for various items owned by the businesses on the site. I think best thing for time being is to stick with where we found the most finds in that corner and the areas near to it as it seems some very good stuff was coming out of the ground there. We sure could go again before August and have another day up there if everyones up for it its fine with me if we can all agree a date and then stick with it unless bad weather of course. It does like everyones itching to get back there which is good-so guys lets agree another date which hopefully suits us all and go again for another day session. Regards, Tim.

If anyone is interested in the history of the area, get in contact with:-
    B.H.Kedward, of Shearwater, 11 Badsey Lane, Evesham, WR11 3EY
    He is the author of the book "Angry Skies across the Vale" which is a day to day history of RAF Honeybourne, with over 200 photos. Price is £28 + post and packing.
    May even be worth sending him a letter to this man asking for some info on the sites history. Maybe invite him to a dig ?
    Regards to all, Simon.

Guys

Luckystrike is correct, and I'd like to point out something as well.

I have 3 basic requirements when identifying a new site. One of these is that there is no modern usage. The reasons are simple. Firstly, the ground will have been messed with, either raised or lowered or even concreted over. Second, the ground even if 'as was' will be peppered with modern crap, mainly ring pulls and pennies but also fag packets, sweet wrappers etc etc. It really isn't worth searching the technical site. We need a barracks area that is NOT being used and looks like it hasn't changed in years.

Cheers

Steve T

PS LS.....I am up for a day before the august BH blitz.

Hello everyone,
    I think another day or a weekend is a great idear!! But im sorry to say i cant give a deffinite yes or no to any date in the summer because of my work But be sure to know i will try my best.
    P.S. I think it would be silly to go looking for new places to dig when the dump is still jam packed with good finds!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast