Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

US Army Dump Dig Finds and Pictures!

Article about: thanks for a great day out Tim! my finds of the day.....unopened Carlisle tin,steralising unit base,hypodermic syringe needle..& LOTS of bottles! Al

Default Re: US Army Dump Dig Finds and Pictures!

Here are some of mine, notice the initials on the bottom of the canteen cup, I also like the lens I guess from a camera. Notice the lump of corroded window and sadly I could find no marks on the base of the 20mm.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Army Dump Dig Finds and Pictures!   US Army Dump Dig Finds and Pictures!  

US Army Dump Dig Finds and Pictures!   US Army Dump Dig Finds and Pictures!  

US Army Dump Dig Finds and Pictures!  

They cleaned up well
    Regards, Simon.

next lot
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Army Dump Dig Finds and Pictures!   US Army Dump Dig Finds and Pictures!  

Those bottles have cleaned up great the blue ones look nice, any ideas what the contents of the intact ones are?

Thanks

Dann

Cracking pictures Adrian, i hope to find one of those bottles next time.

Thanks guys, Dann I have no idea what they contained, I probably found 20 but only kept the one as a souvenir. I'll be watching the rubber tops from now on because now they've been liberated from the relatively stable earth environment (moisture and temperature) they may start to perish. If they do I'll be disposing of them safely.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Quote by LUCKYSTRIKE View Post
    next lot
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    The 20mm Oerlikon MKII round case in the photos were usually headstamped Oe=Oerlikon who was the Swiss manufacturer of this light AA cannon, followed by say 42=date of manufacture and then usually by a 2Z=denoting a projectile type. I know later on the cases had indented stampings just above the extractor groove so have a good look in case there are stampings there. If not this may have been a case for a drill round, though this is unlikely. Cases were made from brass and steel and were in widespread use during WW2. These rounds were not interchangebale with the German Oerlikon MG.FF aircraft weapons which used a case only around 80mm long. The designation for this Oerlikon case is 20mmx110RB if i remember right (Rebated Rimless). That was an important find as it shows the diversity of weapons present on that site. Also interesting to note that the Hawker Hurricane was for a brief period also fitted with these 20mm Oerlikon guns before the French Hispano was adopted. Types of projectile were Target Practice, High Explosive Incendiary Tracer and Armour Piercing. Would be great to find more of those. Great pictures of some really quality relics here mate! Regards, Tim.

Quote by Falschirmjager View Post
    The 20mm Oerlikon MKII round case in the photos were usually headstamped Oe=Oerlikon who was the Swiss manufacturer of this light AA cannon, followed by say 42=date of manufacture and then usually by a 2Z=denoting a projectile type. I know later on the cases had indented stampings just above the extractor groove so have a good look in case there are stampings there. If not this may have been a case for a drill round, though this is unlikely. Cases were made from brass and steel and were in widespread use during WW2. These rounds were not interchangebale with the German Oerlikon MG.FF aircraft weapons which used a case only around 80mm long. The designation for this Oerlikon case is 20mmx110RB if i remember right (Rebated Rimless). That was an important find as it shows the diversity of weapons present on that site. Also interesting to note that the Hawker Hurricane was for a brief period also fitted with these 20mm Oerlikon guns before the French Hispano was adopted. Types of projectile were Target Practice, High Explosive Incendiary Tracer and Armour Piercing. Would be great to find more of those. Great pictures of some really quality relics here mate! Regards, Tim.
    That lens could have been from an aircraft camera as its brass and probably too large for any camera carried by a soldier etc on the base. Very nice.

Hi Tim,
    Thanks for your detailed reply much useful info there, the base is a little knocked about so that could be why I couldn't see anything. I'll have a look in the light tomorrow, I'll also bring it up again on the 30th so you can have another look. All the best mate.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Quote by Whitehunter View Post
    Still cleaning most of my finds, if any one could help on the dog tag please do.

Sorry if the pictures aren't very good. It reads:

MANFORD L FOLTZ
    37152647 T42 A
    HENRY L FOLTZ
    221 1ST A?VE
    SPEARFISH S D P

Many thanks,
    John
    The A is his blood type and the P is his religion ( He was a protestant)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast