Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

USAAF air gunnery range - June 2010

Article about: by Steve T Cobra Thanks I have got about 500 of those .50cal bullets from that range now.......and I've hardly searched any of it ! Ever seen a round get 'split' like the .30cal before ? It'

Default Re: USAAF air gunnery range - June 2010

WOW Steve!
    Good work

Thanks Oksnevad

My mosquito bites are finally in remission and my arm has reduced down to almost its normal size.

Steve T

Mosquito problem here in Norway as well Steve, looks like the Luftwaffe has taken control of the skies again!

where are those Spitfires when you need them

Insect bites & especially Mosquito's & Midges are really unpleasant but an occupational hazzard when fudging around in woodland or undergrowth in summer, I know I too got eaten quite badly as a teenager locating the dump on the 389th BG base back in 1987, I recall it was torture with the persistant itching & scratched myself until I was bleeding. However it was a lesson learned & I went back wearing repellant after but still got nipped by the Midges & Mosquito's where I hadn't applied the repellant properly!

What are you planning to do with all these finds you are bringing back, are they destined for museum displays or will you just keep them for your personal collection?

They sit in my personal collection Bird Dog, which is getting rather substantial now

Steve T

Bird Dog

Here you go. All the finds to date from the USAAF air gunnery range, nicely arranged in a display 'cabinet'. I have made 3 visits to the site so far so it isn't a bad haul for so few visits !

Not got round to labelling the finds up yet and I may line all the 'good' .50cals up to make them look neater. I reckon there's over 500 spent bullets here

Anyway, hope you like the display and are satisfied the relics are being well cared for

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USAAF air gunnery range - June 2010   USAAF air gunnery range - June 2010  

love it!!!

?

Steve, very nice finds as usual!
    Just noticed something.
    Looking at the picture with the .30cal bullet heads, the one on the right hand side (circled) looks to me to be an 8mm lebel bullet head!
    (Bottom bullet in the sectioned view)
    What do you think?
    Jimbo.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USAAF air gunnery range - June 2010   USAAF air gunnery range - June 2010  

Jimbo

I see what you mean. That is very interesting. I'll measure it later and see what the dimension of it are.

Thanks

Steve T

PS Although, what the heck were they using for me to find a spent lebel on an air gunnery range ???

?

Check the length Steve.

The profile is correct for the little-used Projectile, Ball, Cal. .30, M1.
    The length of this projectile was 1.33", as opposed to the usual 1.23" long M2 Ball projectile.

I'll dig the dimensioned drawings out and post them later.

All the best,
    PB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast