Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

USAAF airbase Barracks - August 2010 - Will this place EVER been clear ??? :D

Article about: Understood Steve. I'd hate for the ban to cover you too that's all. You get some great finds there and as you know, intrigueing ones. No offence meant in any way. Martyn.

Default USAAF airbase Barracks - August 2010 - Will this place EVER been clear ??? :D

Hi all

I had every intention of making this my last trip to 'my' airbase. The finds have been getting less and less in both quantity and 'interest' factor. When I arrived at the site I had already decided to call this thread 'A final farewell to my airbase '.

Coupled with the reduced finds and the fact that the landowner has suddenly decided that too many people are asking for access to the airbase, and he is therefore not now letting ANYONE on !!! So bang goes any more searches of the base itself.

This leaves the barracks.......split into 5 areas. I have searched them extensively so expected to find very little.

However, the DAMN PLACE keeps coming up with stuff !!

It is such a large area that I must just keep missing 'patches' of it. On this visit, most of my finds came from a relatively small area. I must have missed it on every previous visit.

The most astonishing find of all........another German dog tag !

Anyway....here we go.....

Before cleaning.

And now after cleaning....

A strange object this one. Doesn't appear to have means of mounting it to anything and no screw threads. It looks like a protector for a bulb....anyone got any other ideas ?

A few toiletry bits and pieces. Unfortunately the tubes have had it but both are of American origin. One is Woodbury shaving cream, the other has no name. Nice Horlicks lid.....and the little pot is the remains of a tea ration tin, (it matches exactly examples I have previously found with their lids intact).

A few buttons this time around. The item middle right I recognise from somewhere but can't put my finger on it. The to wheels turn quite freely and act like a clamp. The button at the bottom I don't recognise at all. It may be a modern one but does anyone recognise it ?

A close up of the unusual button....

A watch.......but what is more important is that it has someones name engraved on the back !!! I am in the process of seeing if it was anyone statioend at the base. 10k gold filled....whatever that means The name is 'Oliver Jelks'.....an unusual name

Ok....here we go. Two pebble buttons and another half a German dog tag.

A close up of the tag, taken at an angle to highlight the text. It appears to read as follows.....

Stamm. Kp. Pz. GrenErsb (last bit I can't make out..)

Panzer Grenadier ? Anyone help on anything else ?

Last finds....the usual cartridges. 20mm, 303 blank and a 30 cal with an unusual headstamp (PETERS cartridge co, cincinnati, ohio), dated 1928. I also found, lying on the surface, what I think is a bakelite oil bottle for a LE ?

Thats the lot. Hope you like the finds and can help ID some of them !

I shall return to the site again.....just can't leave the place now !

Cheers

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USAAF airbase Barracks - August 2010 - Will this place EVER been clear ??? :D   USAAF airbase Barracks - August 2010 - Will this place EVER been clear ??? :D  

USAAF airbase Barracks - August 2010 - Will this place EVER been clear ??? :D   USAAF airbase Barracks - August 2010 - Will this place EVER been clear ??? :D  

USAAF airbase Barracks - August 2010 - Will this place EVER been clear ??? :D   USAAF airbase Barracks - August 2010 - Will this place EVER been clear ??? :D  

USAAF airbase Barracks - August 2010 - Will this place EVER been clear ??? :D  

Default Re: USAAF airbase Barracks - August 2010 - Will this place EVER been clear ??? :D

Hi Steve, you have done it again!

Try: Stamm Kompanie Panzer Grenadier Ersatz battalion "something" which will be a number. The "305" will be his roll number.

Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: USAAF airbase Barracks - August 2010 - Will this place EVER been clear ??? :D

Oops !

Forgot a picture.

Signeur lighter third one i've found !!

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USAAF airbase Barracks - August 2010 - Will this place EVER been clear ??? :D  

Thanks for the prompt reply Ade.

I have cleaned the little bugger a bit more and can read it much better now. It says, in full;

Stamm Kp Pz Gren Ers Bt 164

There is also a '0' stamped above the 'r' of 'Ers' but I have no idea why.

You will also note that I have been doing a bit of brass rubbing just to make sure

Thanks

Steve T

PS By the way.......any idea of the origin of the funny button ? It doesn't immediately look 'military' but I could be wrong. There's writing of the back....I'll go clean it up a little to read it properly.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USAAF airbase Barracks - August 2010 - Will this place EVER been clear ??? :D  

Steve, try from an old curtain rail. Honest. I haven't seen one of those since the 70's.

(Got somewhere with the you know whats! Awaiting some confirmation.)

Martyn.

Quote by martynv4 View Post
    Steve, try from an old curtain rail. Honest. I haven't seen one of those since the 70's.

(Got somewhere with the you know whats! Awaiting some confirmation.)

Martyn.
    Nah.....it's too small to be off a curtain rail ! It'd take about a tenth of a curtain to pull it off the rail. It's too small for that, although a nice idea

Let me know about the I know whats......I can't wait to find out !

Cheers

Steve T

PS What about that damn button ! The funny one.

Honestly, I kid you not. Swear I've still got some somewhere.

The "you know what's", someone has already said what they're from!

Haven't got a clue about the button.

You may as well start a lighter shop!

Martyn.

It really is from a curtain tracking. John

Where I thought I still had some... I haven't..... so I've rung me mum! She's now going through her sewing box

They were the runners (on the rail), you fastened the hooks onto.

It's a crying shame about the intrusion of other collectors on the station Steve. I sincerely hope you are able to carry on there.

Martyn.

Martyn

It isn't other 'collectors' just people wanting access to the site. I think the landowner is just getting fed up of being asked to be honest so is now just saying no to everyone.

Steve T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast