Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

USAAF airbase - Dump and barracks - May 2011

Article about: by Paul B Any printed identification on the glass of the valve might be visible using the "freezer method"... What's the dataplate from by the way? All the best, Paul Hi, Whats the

Default Re: USAAF airbase - Dump and barracks - May 2011

Quote by Paul B View Post
    Any printed identification on the glass of the valve might be visible using the "freezer method"...

What's the dataplate from by the way?

All the best,
    Paul
    Hi,
    Whats the "freezer method"?
    Andy

?

Leave the valve in the freezer for an hour or so, take it out and breathe on it.
    With any luck, anything printed on it that may have faded to invisibility will show up in the condensation.

I'm glad you pointed that out. I assumed that I had to get in the freezer WITH the valve. I had just finished clearing all drawers out and was just going to climb in armed with a torch, a magnifying glass and my camera.

I wasn't looking forward to it I can tell you.

Steve T

?

Gents,

Sorry to revive a slightly old thread but I have a question for you.

With there being a few old 'Mighty Eighth' bases near to me, and with a passion for MDing how do you go about find the location of the base dumps???

I've got the Then and Now USAAF books but obviously they don't mention locations for these and as they inconviniently forgot to put any signs up pointing the way I'm a little lost!

I appreciate that no one likes to give away too much info, but as a newbie to the hobby and with a passion for the history I'd be greatful for a couple of 'pointers' if anyone was will to provide them!

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Hi Jon,

The short answer is lots of walking lots of insect bites and lots and lots of bramble spikes in your legs. Look on old maps for old gravel pits and ponds they nearly allways chucked stuff in them.
    Iv lived on Gosfield airfield in Essex for 24 years and can go anywhere on the base but im still to find the dump so it looks like they were carting the trash away this may be the case on other bases as well.
    I hope this helps alittle bit. Andy

Hi FJR6 and welcome to the forum

I suggest you give the below thread a read first...........

Searching tips

.................and then, as 381st points out, it's all about walking the base and spotting likely locations. Areas around the main technical and hanger area usually have a dump near them, but finding it can be difficult. The 'domestic' dumps are sometimes easier to find. When walking the base, look for concentrations of old crockery and bottles on the surface. If you find some, dig down. If you find more of the same, and a LOT of rusty tin cans, you've found a domestic dump.

The one at this base I found by trawling through the base records. I found a reference to the domestic dump stating 'the dump behind the base ******* is now full and should not be used. Please use the new dump situated to the right of the gate leading to the ********.' (locations deleted to protect the site !!). However, this method is rarely used as getting hold of the base records is almost impossible

I suggest looking at old 1940s aerial shots of the bases. Look for patches of disturbed ground with a track leading to them. This is how we pinpoint a number of base dumps. Otherwise, it's about trawling the net and getting lucky.

If you have a base in mind I have no problem assisting you. Send me a PM and I'll see if I can help out.

Cheers

Steve T

Another example of one of a kind cooperation beetween 2 members...
    If we could ever have the same friendship in the French diggers forum!

?

Steve,

How did the "Snoopy" Dzuz Fastner tool come out after cleaning?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2