Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

USAAF airbase - Two NEW dumps discovered !

Article about: Wow Steve didn't you do well, so much good stuff in there. Great you're out again. I love all those tubes, so nicely marked and colourful, the RAF marked plates are also awesome, nor seen ma

Default Re: USAAF airbase - Two NEW dumps discovered !

Wow Steve didn't you do well, so much good stuff in there. Great you're out again.

I love all those tubes, so nicely marked and colourful, the RAF marked plates are also awesome, nor seen many like that before. Well, done on the bottles the drinks bottle's are always designed to be pleasing on the eye. I believe the iconic Coke bottles curves were based on a Women's curves.

I love the tea ration tins, you must be getting quite a collection of those from this site and the cutlery, I've never seen a fork marked like that so I think it's very likely it was the owners name, hope you can trace him. You did a good job cleaning that button, but they do usually come back quite good because they were quality made. I can't quite see in the picture but is it a British made one? quite a few I've found were. Nice finds those M1 carbine mags, mine are in the same condition. There comes a point in the ageing process where we've got to say it's just not possible to improve the appearance anymore with cleaning, and concentrate on preservation of what's left instead. With the rust weakened sides you did the right thing stopping when you did, but this rusted look is now part of the history, proves the age and I think actually adds to the unique character of each.
    I've had a good look at your finds and sadly cant help with ID's except perhaps the handle next to toilet chain pull. It looks like a civilian car door handle or perhaps even a small utility sized lorry.

Did the owner show you what he'd recovered with his JCB? he must have had some nice bits if the quality of your finds are anything to go by. There must be lots left to recover. Make sure when he levels the spoil heaps to fill the holes that you're there because there'll still be lots of smaller stuff in the heaps that's currently out of MD range.

Good luck with your next visit mate.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

DM - Thanks for that It is a shame the bottom wasn't intact but it's a nice find anyways

LS - That is the 2nd US marked piece of cutlery I've got now, and the 5th Tea Ration tin I am looking to see if the 'Zawol' is indeed a name of one of the base personnel this evening. The M1 mags were a surprise find and, regardless of condition, one of the best finds of the day. I agree with you regarding the handle.

The owner did show me his and his wifes finds and, tbh, their inexperience showed as they had found less than me in ten times the area Plenty of bottles and a few tubes but that was it.....nothing else. Hence the spoil must have a lot of buttons, cartridges and other items in it......maybe even a dog tag or two !

Cheers

Steve T

Unbelievable news !!!!

The fork that I found............

USAAF airbase - Two NEW dumps discovered !

.............with the word 'ZAWOL' stamped into it and the numbers '5136' are the surname and part of the service number of a member of the American personnel based at the airfield !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have traced the serviceman and am awaiting more information on him and his descendants. I will let you know once I get more information.

Steve T

PS I'm so bloody chuffed !

Hi Steve,
    Thats great news, I'm very pleased for you. Your research is paying off again, it'll be great if you can put a face to the name and even better contact him or his relatives. I'm watching this fascinating story develop with great excitment .
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Well done mate,

I love the hoard of tooth paste

Cracking tea ration tins and M1 Magazines

Really looking forward to finding out about the fork

John

Well, after many hours of work I have traced the serviceman who I believe the fork belonged to. Pfc Walenty Zawol, service number 36595136 was indeed based at the airfield where this fork was found. There were no other personnel with that surname, and the numbers on the fork match the last four of his service number.

I discovered that he sadly passed away in 2002, but that he had four children, five grandchildren and four great grandchildren.

Well today I managed to speak to one of his children. By the end of the call, to say I was a little shell shocked is an understatement.

The person I spoke to was rude, dismissive, didn't believe anything I told them and didn't even believe I came from England ! They were adamant that their father never owned anything with his name on, (considering he owned it 5 years before they were born, how would they know????), but I did at least manage to get them to confirm he was based in England at an airbase during WW2. I then tried to talk about Oliver's watch that was successfully returned to his family but got cut off with the phrase, 'You know, our family is not interested in anything you have,' and the phone was put down.

Through this forum and the dealings I've had with other Americans when returning items, I was perhaps a little too optimistic and innocent, but the rudeness and disbelief took me by surprise.

Anyway, scratch one down to experience. The fork shall take it's place with the rest of the relics from this base, safely tucked away in a display cabinet. Anyone who takes that attitude to a piece of their own family history doesn't bloody well deserve to have it back !

Cheers

Steve T

Pah, some people.

Never mind matey, its yours now, you tried to do the right and nice thing. Now tuck it away safe and sound an display it with the rest. btw, the ww2 US marking identification guild for equipment states that you do 'not' need to mark your serial number, name or initials on cutlery and mess tin. So indeed a nice and lucky find.

?

Steve , any children who want to treat the memory of their father like that deserve absolutely nothing!!!, put it on display but send them a photo of the fork in the display and thank them for their disinterest and for the fork, along with ," any other items i find that belonged to your father i will happily assume ownership and include them in my displays"

Well said Dave!

Well done tracing the person down. Shame they werent intrested

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast