Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Utah beach still producing finds

Article about: Hello thought I would share a couple of pictures of ordnance still turning up on Utah beach. I found all of these at exit 3 a couple of weekends ago. There was no digging required and had le

Default Utah beach still producing finds

Hello

thought I would share a couple of pictures of ordnance still turning up on Utah beach. I found all of these at exit 3 a couple of weekends ago. There was no digging required and had left the detector in the car, just the Mk1 eyeball and a steer from a local.

There is a small rocky area that seems to collect items, including various pieces of the ships/craft broken up in the area and these cartridge cases/bullets, some expended, some not.
    There is a group of unfired US .45, all 1942 dated and found lying together like they had just been dropped, a few US .30 cases and bullets, again 1942 dated, plus some German 7.92 rounds, with '38 and '39 dates.

A nice little snap-shot of events on the day.

Utah beach still producing findsUtah beach still producing findsUtah beach still producing finds, .

Default Re: Utah beach still producing finds

Especially coming from an area with such a rich and important history, these finds are amazing keep it up!

Really great items, and to think you simply picked them up off the ground.

Strange - all the .45 bullets are crammed deep inside their cases ! ?
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post

I know, I thought that a bit odd and assumed it is the action of the tide and getting generally bashed about, but the 0.30 and 7.92 rounds didn't have the same sort of damage. maybe to do with the shape of the .45 snub nose bullet making is more susceptible to this type of damage??

nice finds from a very historic battle sight, thanks for showing them.
    regards Marty

Great to see the sea still giveing up some treasures , cheers Raymond

Great stuff!

Quote by Walkwolf View Post

that is strange isn't it, like Harry said I wonder if it's because of thee shape of the .45 cal

thanks for all the positive comments.

Although I was using a detector at other inland locations, and recovered various items including a German belt buckle, US mortar, artillery shell fuze and a lifting plug, shrapnel & shell casings, it doesn't seem right to me to use a detector and be digging on the landing beaches. If you can find stuff on the surface, then fair enough, but the beaches in my view are not the places to be digging (not sure if it is even legal). Just my view and may be a bit contradictory given I will dig at other battle sites...
    some of the other finds from the weekend below...found in hedgerows and field outside the town of Carentan -I particularly like the handle of a Gillette razor. A simple thing but these personal items, rather than the munitions, serve to remind that there were men there
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Utah beach still producing finds   Utah beach still producing finds  

Utah beach still producing finds   Utah beach still producing finds  

Utah beach still producing finds  
    Last edited by harry211; 12-15-2010 at 12:33 PM.

Quote by harry211 View Post
    thanks for all the positive comments.

Although I was using a detector at other inland locations, and recovered various items including a German belt buckle, US mortar, artillery shell fuze and a lifting plug, shrapnel & shell casings, it doesn't seem right to me to use a detector and be digging on the landing beaches. If you can find stuff on the surface, then fair enough, but the beaches in my view are not the places to be digging (not sure if it is even legal). Just my view and may be a bit contradictory given I will dig at other battle sites...
    some of the other finds from the weekend below...found in hedgerows and field outside the town of Carentan -I particularly like the handle of a Gillette razor. A simple thing but these personal items, rather than the munitions, serve to remind that there were men there
    nice, that belt buckle looks pretty good. are you going to leave it as is, or clean it up & the mortar round also? yeah the razor handle is a grim reminder, but there were a lot of unknown civilians kia also. I wish I could go there just once & walk around that area.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast