Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Verdun Lebel rifle found

Article about: Didnt the US buy 25,000 of those or something? Nice find by the way!

Default Re: Verdun Lebel rifle found

Didnt the US buy 25,000 of those or something?
    Nice find by the way!

Verdun Lebel rifle found
    Quote by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
    Nice find. Do you plan on restoring it? The chauchat are really cool looking light machine guns, but were horribly crude and were prone to many jams. I still like the look of it.
    I have no plan on restoring the Lebel,but I have different rifles that I found in battlefield and would like to buy in good condition one to put next to them. 1.
    Here a picture of a chauchat found in Meuse Argonne Use by US.

Quote by Screaming Eagle View Post
    Didnt the US buy 25,000 of those or something?
    Nice find by the way!
    I think the number is probably a little highter but not sure,the reason I am saying this is because of the number of them being find on US battlefields is high.

Reg
    ?

Nice relics! Chauchat probably more likely thrown into the river than put ;o)
    Thanks for posting the pics, I love looking at relic weapons.
    Reg

Hello Chris,
    Many years ago, before I had any restoration experience, I had a Queen Anne, Cannon Barreled 'Turn off' pistol. The barrel was totally immovable and I asked an elderly friend if if was possible to release it. He removed the stock and placed the action and barrel in a container and submerged them in WD40, covered the container and told me to come back in a fortnight. I went back fourteen days later and he said, " You can do it", while he watched I wiped the outside, put it in a padded vice and gently applied pressure with a leather padded pair of small Stilsons, to my astonishment the barrel turned off with with no difficulty at all ! After removal it could be replaced and removed by hand, there was no damage, not even a scratch on any part. (Queen Anne, crowned 23rd April 1702, died, August 1st 1714).
    Since then I've used the same method on many rusted solid things, it just needs a lot of patience, but I really didn't there was any hope for a 16th century firearm.
    Best regards,
    Guy.

submerged them in WD40
    Yeah diesel does the same and would prob work out cheaper than buying a few tins of wd lol, done it a few times myself Guy and it's the only way sometimes,
    Ryan

The only thing I do diffrently is to gently heat the oil which in turn warms the parts up. The convection helps remove dirt and loose rust and allows the thin oil to enter the minute gaps created by thermal expansion. If it fails the first time, I repeat over and over and I reckon it works 99.9% of the time.

ATB, Chris.

Quote by badchild View Post
    Yeah diesel does the same and would prob work out cheaper than buying a few tins of wd lol, done it a few times myself Guy and it's the only way sometimes,
    Ryan
    Hello Ryan,
    The elderly chap in question had two gallon cans of WD 40, I didn't ask where he got them from !

Chris,
    Warming the oil is an excellent idea, I'll give that a try next time, out of doors with a fire extinguisher nearby. I don't think I would be very popular if I burned the home down !
    Cheers,
    Guy.

This is alot of great infos guys,thank you alot does any of you have before and after pictures that would be nice to see.

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    The other one that I have also still move.A friend found a chauchat in the river and was in perfect condition like it was put there yesterday .
    Seems like you can find some great items and in good shape in rivers. Did you found it through the eye or with MD?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast