Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

A very interesting find! "To the Soviet 16th Army"

Article about: by Aleksander P Mortality rate in the camps was extremely high and even if you we're freed, you'd most likely end up in a gulag. Stalin saw prisoners of war, as traitors of the motherland, b

Please put me down for one aswell

?

I like the idea of having pics to print out to display with the leaflet.......so fresh out of the ground and photo provenance to displa with it

?

Thanks a lot mate Really great indeed!

Cheers, Lars

Put me down for one as well - thanks - great piece !

They will look great framed up on the wall

Quick question in regards to the German motives. What would happen if a Russian decided to give in and cross to the Germans? I have heard of the british free corps SS. Would the Germans honor these offerings or just kill them?

?

Many would be taking in as captives, but conditions in the POV camps were horrible.
    Vast numbers of Russian POVs were crammed into these camps simply because of the intial succes of the German campaign.

Mortality rate in the camps was extremely high and even if you we're freed, you'd most likely end up in a gulag. Stalin saw prisoners of war, as traitors of the motherland, because in his opinion they didn't pay the ultimate price and die while fighting.

?

Quote by Aleksander P View Post
    Mortality rate in the camps was extremely high and even if you we're freed, you'd most likely end up in a gulag. Stalin saw prisoners of war, as traitors of the motherland, because in his opinion they didn't pay the ultimate price and die while fighting.
    Quite a number of Soviet fighters went straight to the Gulags in 1945, as they had seen too much of how the German villages looked like compared to back in the USSR.

I will upload pics later today as i have received 3 pics now.

Cheers

Yes, very sad indeed. I finished reading the book Ivan's War sometime ago and it spoke well of Red Army soldiers perspectives on crossing into the "capitalist's world" during the Soviet offensive into German occupied regions and Hungary and seeing their villages and agriculture in a way better shape.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast