Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

A very interesting find! "To the Soviet 16th Army"

Article about: by Aleksander P Mortality rate in the camps was extremely high and even if you we're freed, you'd most likely end up in a gulag. Stalin saw prisoners of war, as traitors of the motherland, b

?

Quote by Aleksander P View Post
    Mortality rate in the camps was extremely high and even if you we're freed, you'd most likely end up in a gulag. Stalin saw prisoners of war, as traitors of the motherland, because in his opinion they didn't pay the ultimate price and die while fighting.
    In the beginning of the war it was not bad. Also some camps must have been OK. This will get complicated My father in laws father and his brother both took part in WW2 of course. Both were in BBC/VVS. My father in laws father went through the whole without a scratch as a pilot. His brother however was taken prisoner in 1941. He always told he was treated very well and had work, food etc. After the war he of course ended up in a Soviet camp for a number of years. He had great admiration for the Germans for the rest of his life. His house still stand up at our homestead up north. Untouched since he died(of course we clean it) He was a "mad" inventor and radio technician btw.

After the war he made a theater for the children in the nearby settlement. I can try and find some pic if interested. His house is full of German literature. His reading glasses still on the table etc

Regards, Lars

Very interesting story Lars and please share the photo, I for one am interested.
    I like that the place is as it is, it keeps the memory and atmosphere well alive.

Do you know which plane did your father in laws father fly?

?

Very interesting find Lars is this the same homestead you and Anna stayed at last year ?
    I seem to remember that you shared some photos with us of the outside of a farm cottage some time ago and you had been busy with some repairs.

Regards Mark

?

Thanks Mark. Ye it's the same place up in the Northeast However it's not the house we did repairs in. Nobody lives in his house.

Cheers

?

I as well would love to see some pictutes fascinating to see such places were time has stood still.

Regards Mark

?

OK guys i will see what i can do

Cheers

?

Hello Guys,

Here are some pics, 3 to be precise. We have more but they will have to wait for about 3 weeks.

So this the amount of snow we have had this year until some time in January! Nothing! Actually we had some but it melted during December. Now we have 12 cm when we would normally have 80-90 cm... I will be offline until some time Friday according to plans.

Sorry about the "Relics and collectibles". People have been stealing my pics earlier

Here my mate is carefully rolling the leaflets out with his knife

Here is one intact grenade

Finally the cool pic. Please note the M39, top row last to the right side. You can see the leaflets and a Mauser 7.92mm casing sticking out at the bottom

Regards, Lars

Very cool lars!!!!!! Are most of the little leaflets clean and readable?

Amazing find! I would be very keen for one if you're selling

?

The more I look at these, the more counterproductive a vessel for a surrender/free passage note, they seem.
    Its not really an object, that the enemy will assemble around, in case it lands in their midst, LOL.
    It must have been for the sole purpose of having a (weighted) delievery system suitable for throwing it far enough (and for making sure the note got there intact of course). They simply took, what they had at hand and utilized that.
    Super interesting relic none the less of course. In fact, its interesting how hitherto unknown objects (unknown to me) can and will still turn up.
    Human ingenuity know no bounds (especially in times of distress and dire straits).
    Last edited by Scout; 02-05-2014 at 12:59 PM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast