Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vyborg, Russia Then & Now

Article about: A couple of then and now photos I took this year in Vyborg. During the Winter War between the Soviet union and Finland in 1939-1940, over 70,000 people were evacuated from Vyborg to Finland.

Default Vyborg, Russia Then & Now

A couple of then and now photos I took this year in Vyborg.

During the Winter War between the Soviet union and Finland in 1939-1940, over 70,000 people were evacuated from Vyborg to Finland. The Winter War was concluded by the Moscow Peace Treaty, which stipulated the transfer of Vyborg and the whole Karelian Isthmus- emptied of its residents- to Soviet control.
    On August 29th 1941, Vyborg was captured by Finnish troops however the town fell to the Red Army on June 20th 1944, but the Finns managed to halt the Soviet offensive at the Battle of Tali-Ihantala, the largest battle fought by any of the Nordic countries.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vyborg, Russia Then & Now   Vyborg, Russia Then & Now  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Thank you for showing there used to be a nice market in the town in the summer months where you could find some interesting items

Quote by kradman View Post
    Thank you for showing there used to be a nice market in the town in the summer months where you could find some interesting items
    Yes, I can imagine its a nice little town in spring/summer but it was under a blanket of snow and -20 degrees when I was there

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Cool to see you're in Vyborg now. Please show more pics. I only became interested in the battles in and near Vyborg after some research I got for an OPW II ( OPW II # 175767 IS tank company commander ). Now I feel like it's a place I wanna visit. Therefor more pics are very welcome

?

Excellent post Nick
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

TWS
    ?

Love some good "Now and Then" comparison photos. Thanks for posting!
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

That is a great Now and Then.
    On the bottom pic with the round building. Is that battle damage pock marks on the walls?

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    That is a great Now and Then.
    On the bottom pic with the round building. Is that battle damage pock marks on the walls?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks Phil

It does look like it but no it’s just the stone work coming through the the paint

Nick

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    Cool to see you're in Vyborg now. Please show more pics. I only became interested in the battles in and near Vyborg after some research I got for an OPW II ( OPW II # 175767 IS tank company commander ). Now I feel like it's a place I wanna visit. Therefor more pics are very welcome
    I will post some over the next couple of days Marcel
    It’s easily accessible by train if you are ever in St Petersburg or Helsinki

Nick

Great to see these "then and now" pictures, really interesting.

Please show us more pictures (in the snow ).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast