Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Wake Island finds

Article about: Nice historical pieces. I used to do a lot of scuba diving but never found anything quite so interesting. Best item was a round bottomed bottle of COREYS root beer from Ireland by the dock a

Default Re: Wake Island finds

Nice historical pieces. I used to do a lot of scuba diving but never found anything quite so interesting. Best item was a round bottomed bottle of COREYS root beer from Ireland by the dock at Port Townsend Washington.

Thanks

Burt

I remember there was a boat restaurant in Hong Kong and when they were cleaning the harbour they found 10,000s of plates where the staff couldn't be bothered to wash up and just through them out of the windows and into the harbour. I wonder if the Pan Am Clipper boys were doing the same kind of thing here!!

Steve

?

Nice finds

Does the Coke Bottle have a city embossed on the bottom ?
    I have one with Oakland,Calif. on it found here in Brisbane.
    Nice items BTW
    Mick

Those Pan American plates are amazing finds. Pan Am set up the Wake Island site first, as a stop for their Pacific clipper route. Part of this was done with the backing of the US Government to move the US into the Pacific presence.

PAA had a Clipper on the dock when the Japanese attacked. The Clipper was strafed but got off with the last people off of Wake before the Japanese full attack was made. Real footage was used in the movie Wake Island:

The classic 1942 war movie ?Wake Island? includes actual Pan Am M-130clipper footage

That Pan American china sure would be considered collectable.

My dad flew for PAA 1944 (after B17 tour in 8th AF/401BG/H) to 80. We knew a lot of China Clipper pilots.

?

Really like your finds and pics! Since the Garrison was overwhelmed by the Japanese on 12/23/41, I suspect the 1942 dated 50 cal machine gun shells were expended by American fighters strafing the island during the war.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2