Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

War relic's from the Hurtgenwald

Article about: I am impressed by the finds and their significance. I think that it is too bad that relic hunting is prohibited, since most of these items have historic value and it is guys like WW2Hunter w

Default Re: War relic's from the Hurtgenwald

Some pic's after the clean-up. I love the small dime,it cleaned-up very well.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture War relic's from the Hurtgenwald   War relic's from the Hurtgenwald  

War relic's from the Hurtgenwald  

Well done with the clean up all the items came out really nice

Thanks White,(youre name always reminds me of Reservoir Dog's)
    It's always trial and error, the rank insigna lost most of its golden color, because I used the same product as I used on the buttons.
    Butt all makers marks are still present and readable on them.
    Now I've found a very good oxide remover for brass (100% Bio and smells like Bio to, lol),just have to leave them in the product for 24h and the oxide is gone, without damaging the object

Grtz Steven

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Although I'm always thrilled to see any type of ground-dug relic, I wish to point out that metal-detecting or any kind of digging is illegal in the Huertgenwald. There are signs posted all over...
    Most parts Of Hurtgen are off-limits to MD, but not all the forest...
    The signs you are talking about, I was based in the German Eifel for over 2 years and never saw them posted all over the place...
    The forbidden area's are marked with signs, that's all.(If you want to dig there it's at your own risk, but you beter don't, the fines are heavy and they can confiscate your car and equipment)

Regards,
    Steven

?

No sign doesnt mean that its allowed, german battlefield restrictments.........
    I dug there about 15 years ago and even then all Hurtgen battlefield, and thats where you dig dont you?
    was highly forbidden, in Germany now a days they punish very hard when you dig at those battlefields like Reichswald and Hurtgen.
    Beware........you allready know that it could cost you big bucks, better buy a complete Officers uniform

Thanks for the advise,Gerrit.
    Relic hunting (even surface finds)on the WW1 Battlefields in france is also forbidden and the punishment is the same but it doesn't stop you eather.
    And the Items you see were dug up on privat owned land.(Vossenack)
    To me WW history is a passion and a hobby, as it is for the most of us on this forum.

?

That is exactly what it is: an advise
    Surface searching in Verdun is different then with a detector.
    Without a detector they only send you away and confiscate all relics you have.
    Happend to me once with a lot of nice stuff, and ive been send away twice.
    NP there ( the detector hided in a ditch, LOL)
    Didn't stopped me either thats true, im not judgeing just advising

?

The bottom line anywhere is you have to follow the laws of that particular country !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

That's the bottom line, thank's Paul.

The reason I posted earlier was that I do not want some new collector who reads these posts and sees all these tempting relics to think that he can just waltz into the Huertgen with a shovel and a detector without risk of injury/death or legal issues...I stated specifically that the signs forbidding such activity are posted in the Huertgenwald proper....Hell, if they weren't there I would have been there digging. And NO...You cannot "dig at your own risk". German Laws are designed to minimize/prevent risk...not to turn a blind eye to them. I'm done with this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast