MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Warning

Article about: Bad luck that Phil, you do all the graft and then someone else walks off with a nice Civil War relic

Default Re: Warning

If it's not found, then it stays lost to history. Are there any 'official' hunters for museums or such?

Quote by PHILBROWN View Post
    if you want a laugh, i was detecting at a well known site in lincolnshire where there was a civil war battle, found a small cannon ball and left it at the side of the foootpath seldom used to pick up later, low and behold a couple i noticed walking along the path not long after picked the thing up and strolled of i was to far away to shout or yell, and couldnt really be bothered follow it up .
    Bummer. Civil War?

appie
    ?

I did some metal-detecting near Oxford some years ago, near a place called Didcot. There are two hills with a forest where the Romans fought the Saxons. Very interesting site, but also I think it was a bit illegal. Now they put up big signboards; No metaldetectos! Made some nice finds there too!

Quote by appie View Post
    I ....
    Now they put up big signboards; No metaldetectos! Made some nice finds there too!
    You can see thise signs in Zeeland as well, to me it means; "have a surch here ,if you want to find something"!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

appie
    ?

I haven't seen the signs in Zeeland (Zeeuws Vlaanderen?) yet, but indeed what they are really telling diggers is that there is something to be found there.
    Not far from here they discovered a Gallo Roman village, and a team are doing some digging and fieldwork there at the moment.There are signs there too now, and the police patrols the area for the nighthawks with there detectors. An hour drive from here you have Rennes le Chateau, imagen what they would do to you when you got caught red handed with a detector there!! (or with the holy grale in your backpack).

Quote by appie View Post
    I haven't seen the signs in Zeeland (Zeeuws Vlaanderen?) ...
    Yes, Zeeuws Vlaanderen!

cheers
    |<ris

appie
    ?

Quote by stuka f View Post
    Yes, Zeeuws Vlaanderen!
    Didn't see them yet, where are they, near Hulst?
    By the way, did you know about a diyke between Doel and Antwerp that is full of German fieldgear? After the war they just udes Garman stuff like gasmask canistes, helmets and amo boxes to reinforce a dyke! Where ever you put the spade in the ground you will come across rotten fieldgear!

Quote by appie View Post
    Didn't see them yet, where are they, near Hulst?
    No, the other side of the Wester Schelde, around Kruiningen.
    Do you know the guy in Hulst with his Museum?
    By the way, did you know about a diyke between Doel and Antwerp that is full of German fieldgear? After the war they just udes Garman stuff like gasmask canistes, helmets and amo boxes to reinforce a dyke! Where ever you put the spade in the ground you will come across rotten fieldgear!
    A rotten dyke, so!!
    No I don't know that dyke. But there are not so many old dykes anymore, due to the new harbor they have made.
    I know a dyke with skulls and bones on the other side of the Schelde, the one where they dumpt the intyre Groenkerkof cemetary.

cheers
    |<ris

appie
    ?

Do you mean Mark with the detectorshop? That is a good friend of mine. Very nice guy, andhas a great collection.
    About the cemetary;I didn't know that, very interesting, we should meet up next time I'm in that neighbourhood! Do you search with a metaldetector yourself?

Quote by appie View Post
    Do you mean Mark with the detectorshop? That is a good friend of mine. Very nice guy, andhas a great collection.
    About the cemetary;I didn't know that, very interesting, we should meet up next time I'm in that neighbourhood! Do you search with a metaldetector yourself?
    Yes the guy with the detectorshop ...and museum.
    Don't know him by name but he used to visit me at the shop when he returned from the militaria fair in Antwerp.
    I do not search with the detector, just on the net!!
    I mentioned it in the other treath, yesterday.
    I guess you missed that one!

cheers
    |<ris

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast