Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What is this?

Article about: Hello, can anyone tell me what this is? It was found in a RAD camp. It is made of lead and has a size of 3,5 cm. It is stamped with Gustav Huhn - Berlin Tempelhof Paul.

Default What is this?

Hello,

can anyone tell me what this is? It was found in a RAD camp. It is made of lead and has a size of 3,5 cm. It is stamped with Gustav Huhn - Berlin Tempelhof

Paul.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is this?   What is this?  

What is this?  

Default Re: What is this?

In 1944 Gustav Huhn took out a patent for something called "Packungsring fur stopfbusen" which I have tried to translate, but it will not translate the last "busen" part. What I do gather is that it was a packing ring for plugging something. Sorry I could not help more.
    Tom

bambuko
    ?

Patent was for:
    Packing for the shafts of steam turbines
    see also:
    HUHNSEAL AB

Could it perhaps be a part of the MP40? From the barrel attachment?

Paul

ian
    ?

it is half of a shaft seal,probably water lubed ,as oil would break down the lead
    ,water turbine sounds about right , but now way i can see to realy ever know
    cheers ian

?

Quote by Pawlito View Post
    Could it perhaps be a part of the MP40? From the barrel attachment?

Paul
    I would say no it appears to be more industrial, as others have said.

grafibert
    ?

Gustav Huhn besaß bis Kriegsende eine Fabrik in Berlin-Tempelhof. Er war Inhaber mehrerer Patente für Stopfbuchsen-Dichtringe ( z.B. für Dampfmaschinen, Lokomotiven etc.). Ich denke, es handelt sich bei den Abbildungen um ein Relikt solch eines Dichtrings. Die Fabrik wurde bei der Einnahme Berlins durch die Sowjetarmee 1945 zerstört. Gustav Huhn starb kurz nach Kriegsende.

Quote by StuG III View Post
    In 1944 Gustav Huhn took out a patent for something called "Packungsring fur stopfbusen" which I have tried to translate, but it will not translate the last "busen" part.
    Not surprisingly: As listed below it is actually -buchsen, not -busen.

Buchse (pl. Buchsen) means socket, connector, sleeve etc., while Busen means bosom, breast, bust.
    Stopfen - from which the Stopf- part originates - means to plug, to stuff, to cram, to box etc.

Hence, the misspelt but rather interesting version Stopfbusen might be used to describe something found in, say, a blouse or dress that is several sizes too small.

The (somewhat less exciting) Stopfbuchse is this thingie: Stopfbuchse

I definitely prefer my version....
    Tom