Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What aircraft is this from

Article about: I have had this piece a few years & was told at the time i was given it that it came from a crashed German plane , but i don't know what type , so if anyone can identify the piece it wil

?

Is there the possibility it could be from the system used to open/close the bomb bay doors? I'm sure they were probably hydraulic but knowing how the Germans like to 'over engineer' systems maybe they were elcetrically driven?

Quote by HD1450 View Post
    I have had this piece a few years & was told at the time i was given it that it came from a crashed German plane , but i don't know what type , so if anyone can identify the piece it will be very much appreciated
    It could be from an aircraft although whether German or not is moot. What I will say with a degree of certainty is that it could well be an armature from the high tension ingnition magneto of a large bore piston aero engine. Although aircraft had their own electrical system, the HT ignition magneto was separate to it and was most often used when twin plugs were used in each cylinder head of high performance aero engines to ensure efficient burning of the high octane fuel by doubling the burn speed and prevent the likelyhood of 'knocking' that would be prevelant if only one plug was being used. It also came in handy should a magneto failure affect the operation of another engine due to the increased power it provided the remaining engine.

I'm sure you can find it better explained elsewhere online than this, but you get the idea.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    It could be from an aircraft although whether German or not is moot. What I will say with a degree of certainty is that it could well be an armature from the high tension ingnition magneto of a large bore piston aero engine. Although aircraft had their own electrical system, the HT ignition magneto was separate to it and was most often used when twin plugs were used in each cylinder head of high performance aero engines to ensure efficient burning of the high octane fuel by doubling the burn speed and prevent the likelyhood of 'knocking' that would be prevelant if only one plug was being used. It also came in handy should a magneto failure affect the operation of another engine due to the increased power it provided the remaining engine.

I'm sure you can find it better explained elsewhere online than this, but you get the idea.

Regards, Ned.
    I reckon the Nedster might have it!....
    What aircraft is this from

?

thanks for the info Ned

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2