Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What is Relic Digging and Why We do it!

Article about: I've removed the last 6 replies to this thread as I've had enough of the bickering and arguing. Any more arguing like that and I'll be issuing infractions. Now.........back to the thread. St

Default Re: What is Relic Digging and Why We do it!

I've removed the last 6 replies to this thread as I've had enough of the bickering and arguing.

Any more arguing like that and I'll be issuing infractions. Now.........back to the thread.

Steve T

It nearly gave me an infarction reading them.....Well done that man!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Sorry didnt see that post by Steve, i was typing , getting disturbed and it took longer than expected, please remove as appropriate

********Note from Steve T ..... deleted it for you. My 'daft ol' bugger' alarm went off as you posted it so no harm done. Daft Ol' bugger. ************
    Last edited by Steve T; 05-20-2012 at 05:56 PM.

?

Thank you Steve

?

From my mail:

---Quote (Originally by Paul E)---

Although this has again disrupted the main thrust of the thread it will remain in order that hopefully new members will realise it has all been discussed before , let's now move on and put this FINALLY to bed !!
    Paul
    ---End Quote---

I don't think this will ever be put to bed. But I do have a suggestion. If this has become a big problem on your site, maybe make a page for new registerees, a policy of sorts that tells a quick concise background of relic-diggers and their true aim (to recover bodies of the fallen, discover historical content, money from selling relics are used for X, they are not profiteers because X etc...)

I do have more of an understanding for what they do, thanks to your comments and me perusing the site for hours on end (much to the dismay of my girlfriend).

I understand you guys get so uptight because you're so passionate about this subject yet you just gotta see the other side of the coin... that people with differing views can be JUST as passionate when they see images of say, a handful of dogtags being dug up and sold... without any knowledge of why.

Put yourself in a newbie's shoes for a second and think about that. You guys have been doing this for years and years so its only natural to defend your hobby. But to a newbie looking at some of these images, they see a lot of the items being sold off, it can look a bit unethical to their uninformed eye/brain. Then you get a passionate response from some "troll" like me. Immediately, I'm a troll cause OBVIOUSLY I should know everyone's intent (good-humored sarcasm).

Some sort of policy page blasting new registrees in the face with exactly what relic-diggers do, prior to completing the registration, will give them previous knowledge and will looks at the forum with a better outlook.

That is, of course, if this has become a BIG problem here. Judging by some of the passionate comments to my original post, I am guessing its damn near an epidemic. Regardless, thanks for informing me of what you guys actually do and why. You have much respect from this "troll."

I will not make any more comments regarding the ethics of relic-digging. Respect.

Drewgar The Horrible

DiggityDiggity, you can discuss all this here and not in the North Karelia thread.

If you worry about what the money from digging is spent on, i can tell on for my account anyway. I spend them on digging trips and equipment related to digging. If i manage to make a profit on top of this, i spend them on diapers for my daughter and other useful things. I have no problem making a profit on digging, even it's not very often it happens.

Dog tags can be found in many places, others than on soldiers. When found on soldiers Volksbund and other "War Graves" need them for ID, so a ID tag will follow the soldier.

Please stop asking questions in the digging threads

Regards, Lars

well I do it just to get away from the wife and kids for a day...

?

Quote by dangermouse View Post
    Hope SWMBO dont cuise the relics fora and stumble over this or the relic hunting might come to an abrupt halt

Well said Lars.

I have only ever relic hunted in the UK but for me, it is about finding items that were handled by fighting men and women from such desperate times in the most violent century of them all. When I recover an item, it moves me to think that I am the first person to handle it since the person who discarded or lost it.

I am presently digging a D-Day movement camp associated with a very famous British unit. I am finding mainly personal items such as pieces of webbing, water bottles, toothpaste and shaving tubes and so on. The thought that goes through my mind when I find an item is "I wonder if they made it", knowing that mere weeks or days later these men were stepping off the landing craft onto fiercely defended beaches.

Keep up the good work, Lars!

?

Quote by dangermouse View Post
    A perfectly legit reason dm

Regards, Lars

I just wanted to write a quick note thanking you guys for what you do. Without people like you who see the value in these items and have an appreciation for them and their history, they would be lost to future generations. It is important to preserve items like this for the next generations to be able to see and learn from. History would soon become nothing more than facts on a page - facts that would soon be forgotten. I am a World War II enthusiast, and an amateur collector (most of my items are WWII ephemera). I would love to become involved in battlefield archaeology, but seeing as I am only a senior in college, it is a little out of my price range. Keep up the good work and never forget the importance of what you are doing.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast