Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Whats the law on ground dug weapons??

Article about: Can anyone out there tell me what the UK laws are on ground dug guns? If you were to find one how do you get it deactivated and made legal? I mean i havent found one but i maybe onto a dump

Default Whats the law on ground dug weapons??

Can anyone out there tell me what the UK laws are on ground dug guns?
    If you were to find one how do you get it deactivated and made legal?
    I mean i havent found one but i maybe onto a dump site that may well have one or two 50cals in it so i just want to know what to do if one turnes up!!
    Thanks.

Default Re: Whats the law on ground dug weapons??

From what I have been lead to understand take it to a reputable gun shop and ask them.
    Regards, Simon.

?

Really depends on condition.
    If it is obviously serviceable in any way .. then officially it should be reported and handed in.

Items rusted / bent barelled / damaged such as aircraft crash items still should be checked out and cleared by your local firearms officer based at most central division Police stations.

Gary J.

Sorry, I was wrong.
    Regards to all, Simon.

?

Simon,
    Not necessarily wrong ...
    The Police fall back onto registered gun "brokers" for advice, .. I believe the firearms side of things falls under section 5 or section 8 of the firearms act, .. to which there are limited persons registered.

In the first instance a "known" gun smith can certainly point you in the right direction.

Regards

Gary J.

Full details can be found at :

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1965...9650044_en.pdf

Quote by shadowwolf View Post
    Sorry, I was wrong.
    Regards to all, Simon.

Gary J,
    Cheers for clearing that matter up for me.
    Regards to all, Simon.

Hi,
    Most air crash weapons are still servicable you may find that they are still loaded, this has been found in the past. If they are of relic
    unusable condition ( rusted right up ) i dont think you have to report them, but dont quote me on it, if all else fails send them to me asap and i wont say nothing, lol.
    Dave.

Thanks for your fast replys everyone.

Quote by shadowwolf View Post
    Sorry, I was wrong.
    Regards to all, Simon.
    Now this is an interesting thing! A few years back a chap i know found a 20mm Oerlikon MG/FF German aircraft cannon that had been found on the seabed. He was told that if he kept it in its "as found" condition which was pretty much encrusted and barely recogniseable as the mentioned weapon then it was ok to keep. But he had the thing fully cleaned and restored and it was immaculate. The ammunition drum was found to contain HE and AP rounds which were removed and destroyed. Then came the difficult bit-he applied to the authorities to keep the weapon which had been classed as an obsolete calibre therefore deactivation was not required. A lengthy court case began and in the end a judge ruled that the weapon be taken six miles back out to see and dumped back in the water. Great shame really-but guess it goes that way sometimes. Many thousands of Lee Enfields have been brought back from the Somme in France over the years without any fuss. A .50 cal is probably another question. If completely rusted and no way of making anything move etc it still might require checking to ensure no live round is in the chamber and the barrell rifling drilling out and filling etc. A good goodsmith/firearms dealer would be the best bet as Mr Plod would surely confiscate it. If i found one it would go to the gunshop in Stratford as they have carried out safety checks on a number of relic weapons found locally in that area that were dumped after the war and at least then you will get it back. A fee is usually charged for any work carried out and last time i heard it was around £50-£80 depending on what had to be done and if certificate was necessary etc. Complicated thing this is but my sister in law is in the Armed Police and she says it can depend upon your region and how your local Police view such issues. Even she agreed our laws are bit mad regarding relic guns.

Quote by Falschirmjager View Post
    Now this is an interesting thing! A few years back a chap i know found a 20mm Oerlikon MG/FF German aircraft cannon that had been found on the seabed. He was told that if he kept it in its "as found" condition which was pretty much encrusted and barely recogniseable as the mentioned weapon then it was ok to keep. But he had the thing fully cleaned and restored and it was immaculate. The ammunition drum was found to contain HE and AP rounds which were removed and destroyed. Then came the difficult bit-he applied to the authorities to keep the weapon which had been classed as an obsolete calibre therefore deactivation was not required. A lengthy court case began and in the end a judge ruled that the weapon be taken six miles back out to see and dumped back in the water. Great shame really-but guess it goes that way sometimes. Many thousands of Lee Enfields have been brought back from the Somme in France over the years without any fuss. A .50 cal is probably another question. If completely rusted and no way of making anything move etc it still might require checking to ensure no live round is in the chamber and the barrell rifling drilling out and filling etc. A good goodsmith/firearms dealer would be the best bet as Mr Plod would surely confiscate it. If i found one it would go to the gunshop in Stratford as they have carried out safety checks on a number of relic weapons found locally in that area that were dumped after the war and at least then you will get it back. A fee is usually charged for any work carried out and last time i heard it was around £50-£80 depending on what had to be done and if certificate was necessary etc. Complicated thing this is but my sister in law is in the Armed Police and she says it can depend upon your region and how your local Police view such issues. Even she agreed our laws are bit mad regarding relic guns.
    Thanks for that Tim. Im just abit worried because i cant be breaking any law or i will end up loseing my firearms certificate.
    I suppose i could allways apply to have a 50cal added to my licence. (not)
    Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast