Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 Battlefield tours.

Article about: Adrian just read your trip report, bloody amazing you crammed alot in "i hope you werent speeding between locations!!".. The War dead just amazes me!! I

?

Default WW1 Battlefield tours.

Hello everybody,Just a few questions! Im of to France in August for 3 & half days with the missus. I was wondering where are the best WW1 sites to see.. This is what i know so far!!
    1,I have 3 days
    2,I would really like to see some sort of trench system & soak up the moment
    3,No more than a few hours drive from Calais maybe a little more!!!
    4, muesuems are good
    & thats about it guys & girls so if you could help it would make my life easier. thanks all the same Terry.

?

Default Re: WW1 Battlefield tours.

Terry go to Vimy Ridge and then onto the Somme , there is more than enought to see to use up 3 days plus the tunnels at Vimy will be open in August . On the Somme their are Museums at Peronne and Albert and you can visit Newfoundland Park to see the trenches plus the ones at Avril Williams at Auchonvillers and at the rear of the famous Tommy Bar in Pozieres !! Around the area you have the Thiepval Memorial , Lochnagar crater etc

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Thanks Paul for all the info i will look into it on my leave at April..sounds just what we were looking for.. I will try to gleam more info on those places.. Thanks again for your help Terry & Aly

?

Terry a good place to stop is with Avril at her guest house in Auchonvillers which is right in the middle of the Somme Battlefield , the Somme is a great place to be able to " walk" the Battlefields as it is still open , rolling countryside , if you want to stay at Avrils i'd book now as she will be busy in August,

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Paul thanks for the top tips im going to look at it now see how we get on!!! any other top tips?? cheers Terry & Aly.

?

Hi Terry,
    I did a similar thing last November. I stayed in St Quentin which is a couple of hours from Calais. You can read about my trip in this thread.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hello, You could pop over the border into Belgium and visit Ypres, Plenty of museums, Intact tench system, 20 mins drive from Where both Hitler and Churchill fought, You can explore on foot and come across loads of bunkers and even artifacts in the fields. On top of this Ypres is beautiful and the locals very friendly and welcoming.

Enjoy yourselves

Robin

?

Thanks Robin & Adrian i will have a look now!!! I ve just emailed Avrils to see if they have any rooms & how much so see what happens??..I can see this visit being 1 of many if the Missus is happy to come along?? which i think she will!!

If you decide to visit Ypres get in contact and I can go into greater depth about places about where I would recommend. I took my father there last year and it was fantastic.
    All the best

Robin

?

I stayed here at Le Florence for €150 for three nights. Breakfast is extra but very reasonable, I can't remember exactly how much but no more than a few Euros. A good, central base close to many of the sites you want to see, the room was clean and comfortable with a modern bathroom.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast