Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 airbase in England - January 2010 visit

Article about: Hey guys Well, I got back to 'my' airfield as soon as I could after the snow cleared. I had a nice range of finds this time around but it is certainly getting a lot harder to get them now. I

Default WW2 airbase in England - January 2010 visit

Hey guys

Well, I got back to 'my' airfield as soon as I could after the snow cleared. I had a nice range of finds this time around but it is certainly getting a lot harder to get them now. In the early days I'd get this kind of haul from one specific location. On this visit, these finds are from four separate locations. I kept having to move because I have virtually cleared the place out now !

Still, at least that's good news for you guys because I will finally be able to tell you all where these finds have come from

Anyways, some nice stuff today and some unusual items.

Firstly before any cleaning.........

And now after cleaning and dumping of hunks of crap.....

First thing I think is possibly the lid off a mess tin of some description. Anyone identify it ? The scratched name on the front appears to be Grinnan but I can't be too sure.

Now three items that i haven't been able to identify. Any help would be appreciated.

Some nice lids this time around. Not found any for ages ! This is the fourth Mansion polish tin I've found, and about the tenth 'Springs Delights' jam jar lid. I wonder if they used Mansion Polish for their brass buttons or was it for the barracks ? Also got a Ponds lid this time and what looks like the top off a sugar shaker (or possibly Talc ?)

A lock off something and a lever from inside a mortice lock.

A very strange lens. Looks like it could be off a torch or something but it is very ....erm...... 'fish eye' Anyone recognise it ?

I was pleased with these two.......gaskets for Merlin engine exhaust ports

A nice American button, a 1945 dated thre'penny bit, a German Pfennig dated 1942 and a pebble button. I thought I'd found as many German items as i was going to until these two turned up.

Ok now these two bits really interest me but I am unsure as to what one of them is. The 'jack' plug is almost certainly from a flying helmet and is to 'plug in' the radio into the headset in the cockpit. The other bit I can't find. It's an Air Ministry part and is the right colour to be from a cockpit but I can't track the little bugger down ! Can anyone help ?

As usual...plenty of cartridges. All WW2 dated.

A 20mm

A couple of 50cals with the remains of the link still in place and a chopped through 50cal.

A 30cal M1 carbine cartridge and some 303s, including blanks.

And also two German 7.92mm cartridges ! I know that POWs were housed at this site at the end of the war, so maybe they had them and dropped them ?

And lastly a spoon that has come up astonishingly clean with a bit of a rub down. I am getting a nice collection now with various stamps. I have an 'AM' tea caddy spoon, a 'US' stamped desert spoon, an 'RAF' stamped fork and now this little beauty. She's a bit worn but the crest is there none the less !

Anyways that's it for now although I am planning a big week very soon where I am taking some time off and getting 3 or 4 visits in in a week.....gonna try some new sites

Hope you like the stuff.

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 airbase in England - January 2010 visit   WW2 airbase in England - January 2010 visit  

WW2 airbase in England - January 2010 visit   WW2 airbase in England - January 2010 visit  

WW2 airbase in England - January 2010 visit   WW2 airbase in England - January 2010 visit  

WW2 airbase in England - January 2010 visit  

Default Re: WW2 airbase in England - January 2010 visit

cant help with any i.d.ing mate but great finds again, like the mess tin lid with name scratched in, and that spoon looks good enough to eat ya desert off!!

Hi Steve its radio gear 10A/ is radio,radar,electronic t graph and telephone equipment i have seen this item before but cant remember where will find out.

?

10A/12570: Microphone, Oxygen Mask, 1943 Pattern, as used in the RAF E, F and G Type oxygen masks.

All the best,
    PB

Gibba.....thanks mate

airwarrior....am i right about the jack plug ? Thanks for info

The Fisheye Is it big enough to come off a Aftershave bottle?

Hello Steve,
    The fish eye lens is the front of a torch, which used a 4.5 battery. My Uncle who was an ex marine had one which he still used during his time in the police force after the war.
    Cheers,
    navyman.

airwarrior - WOW ! Thanks mate

Thanks Navyman (he wins the prize bikerboy but good try )

Steve T

Haha
    Are we talking off something like this?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 airbase in England - January 2010 visit  

Well the lens looks a bit like that I suppose

Steve T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast