Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

WW2 airfield barracks - Amazing German find ? HELP NEEDED !

Article about: Hey guys Well after the last visit to my airfield where illness got the better of me, (preventing me from doing anywhere near as much detecting as I would normally do), I decided to get back

Default Re: WW2 airfield barracks - Amazing German find ? HELP NEEDED !

I also ment to say that I have a war time instrument list that shows
    fitted to
    Anson.Battle.Dragon.Oxford.Seagull v.Spitfire.Beaufort.Beaufighter.Lancaster
    Regards Mike

Versuch

Great info, many thanks !

Given what I know of the airbase, the only plane used by squadrons stationed there in your list (some of the others may have been short term visitors) is the Spitfire.

So, if your information is correct, it would seem as though it is highly likely I have a piece of Spitfire control panel !!!

......and here's me thinking the Harmonica was the best find of the day !

Steve T

Hi Lucky,

Just noticed the little phone receiver is painted green! That means its a scrambler telephone.There were 3 buttons on military phones , 1 of which was for 'secrecy'. The receivers of these were painted green, whilst the rest of the phone remained black.

Regards, Ned.

P.S. During the early part of the war, these phones were normally locked in a metal box. This practice later fell out of use.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 airfield barracks - Amazing German find ?  HELP NEEDED !   WW2 airfield barracks - Amazing German find ?  HELP NEEDED !  

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Lucky, ...............
    Is that your new name for me or did you think this thread was luckystrikes ?>

COOL ! A keyring thingy for a key to the scrambler phone Sweet !

Steve T

OOOOPPS!!!

Sorry Steve, got carried away there!!

Absit Invidia! Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ok guys

Given the totally unexpected importance of the clock face I found, I have taken the cleaning a step further . I have gone as far as I dare without seriously damaging the face.

Here is what it looks like now, with a close up of the markings for you to see. Unfortunately, the 'No' just doesn't appear to be there at all. Perhaps it was stamped where the corrosion is next to the number 3. Who knows......

Anyway, hope you like the new improved, cleaner, aircraft instrument panel clock face

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 airfield barracks - Amazing German find ?  HELP NEEDED !   WW2 airfield barracks - Amazing German find ?  HELP NEEDED !  

Steve,

Look closely, that's the original paint, i don't think it was ever stamped.

Regards, Ned.

?

Looking good there Steve,it's cleaned up well. Mine is a later war (and much cheaper!) model, dated 43. The Air Ministry must have run out of money for Swiss mechanisms by then!

Steve... Yet another successful search, hats off to you... you're amassing a nice collection of Spitfire bits. I like the clock face, makes you think of its history 'the Pilots that looked at that and on what missions?'. Also wonder why it was lost, there's no damage to suggest a crash!.
    Your harmonca's another nice find, I always like the personal belongings they bring the airfield to life. I remember seeing film footage of a ground crew riding on a bomb sled with one playing a harmonica on their way to re arming a bomber. For interest Germany was always regarded as the largest manufacture of harmonica's. Germany therefore led the market with many being sold in prewar Britain. So although its German it could actually have been a prewar purchase here perhaps belong to ground or flight crew. Sadly we'll never know, but either way POW or Air/Ground crew its a nice find and good condition considering its burial.
    Finally Airbases often staged war time parties/big band dances, where the local women folk were invited. So thats another possibility as to how the jewelry and make up ended up there.
    Love the other finds too, tent/zeltbahn rings and the buttons.
    Great Photo's as usual.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Hi Steve ,Big Ned is correct about the clock face,its very thin alloy and the only stamps are on the front,Ian also hit the nail on the head,the later clocks are made with diecast or bakelite (same material as most aircraft instruments) bodys with with only 2-3 jewels,some with no jewels,these were car clocks
    made into aircraft clocks by printing an part number onto the face !
    See attached photo of your 6A/579 exploded so ,can you recognize it.
    The cases all had the serial number of the clock and a Kings crown stamped
    on the back.
    Rgds Mike

WW2 airfield barracks - Amazing German find ?  HELP NEEDED !  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast