Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

WW2 airfield barracks - Amazing German find ? HELP NEEDED !

Article about: Hey guys Well after the last visit to my airfield where illness got the better of me, (preventing me from doing anywhere near as much detecting as I would normally do), I decided to get back

Default Re: WW2 airfield barracks - Amazing German find ? HELP NEEDED !

Nice info guys !

I am, as usual, impressed with the depth of knowledge that, between us all, is available on this forum.

And in my excitement I forgot to reply to John Brandons freply......

John - You have a metal detector AND an old airbase visible from where you live AND you've never searched it ???? I'll give you a bloody slap next time I see you !!!!!!!!!! Get out there ! If you don't can you tell me and Luckystrike where it is and we'll come and stay over at your house and search it ourselves !!!

Steve T

GUYS !!! Fantastic news !!!!

I have heard back from the Harmonica museum !!!!!! Here is a copy of what they said......

.................................................. ...........

Hello Stephen,

The museum forwarded your inquiry to me. I've not seen that harmonica so I put the question to some of my collector friends. Two of them own Perfectas - the name of the model. Every maker had their own names for harmonicas they produced, usually protected under German copywrite law. Here's a summary of what my friends told me.

Coll.1. My Perfecta is in the original box and has no indication of the maker. The harmonica has tongue protectors [metal bands that cover the dividers between the holes on the wooden body] and says "das instrument das kenners" . It looks like the relic but it is 6" long and has 20 double holes. The box is blue and has the same name and saying on the top with only the key of C on the bottom. I feel sure this was from Klingenthal [a town of harmonica makers in eastern Germany] and was made just before WWII. Since there was virtually no exporting to any of the allies during WWII it was either owned by one of the prisoners or had been lost before the war.

Coll.2. My Perfecta was made by Weidlich [a maker in Klingenthal.] Its says "instrument of the experts." This one seems to have (das instr----- and then kenners) which, according to my German dictionary, means expert. It might be a Weidlich. Mine is about 5-1/8 x 1-1/8 and has tongue protectors on the mouth piece

Stephen, from this input you can be fairly confident your relic was made in the 1930's by a small firm named Weidlich in the town of Klingenthal. It was probably a quality instrument based on the phrase "the instrument of the expert" and also because it had tongue protectors, which commanded a premium price. Based on where you found it, a reasonable conjecture is that it belonged to a POW. (Another translation I found for "kenner" is "connoisseur.")

Regards,
    Alan Bates

.................................................. ...........................

SEE ! I told you that damn thing was GERMAN !!!!

WAHOOO !!!

Steve T

Steve.. Wow what more can you say.. That's superb, pleased for you probably a unique find. Your last trip to the airfield produced a great haul..
    Just think you'll soon have to sort out a display case just for the POW relics. It was probably a sad day for all the POW's when that was mislaid.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

Well done steve, you had a really good day digging there! i wonder if they buried any iron crosses?

Luckystrike

You're right mate ! I best talk to the wife about getting another cabinet

ian_

.........and had much the same discussion with Ade. With everything else I've found, there is a chance there's one of them out there somewhere !!!

<-----crosses his fingers, toes, arms and legs

Steve T

Hi Steve,

WOW, fantastic finds and what a fantastic reply from the harmonica museum

I love these threads, can't believe I missed seeing this until now This is what I love about the War RELICS forum, relics, keep looking mate, and keep posting

I love the way that you present the before and after pictures, see if you can fit in some "on site" action ones

Cheers,

Grant

Superb items Steve,the Iron Cross reference reminds me of a story
    told to me many years ago researching the POW camps in Victoria.
    The guards were given Iron Cross for extra cigarettes and tasty foods,
    the problem being the prisoners had cast them in lead from various
    sources ,in dies made from originals!!! Lots of locals had these along
    with Luftwaffe wings,Wound badges etc...does that make them original
    fakes?
    Cheers Mike

?

The round rings are "Beaver Brand" sail ring eyelets, and come from ether a truck canvas top, or my bet would a British 128 Lb ridge tent.

Nige
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Thanks Nige

Thought they were probably tent rings

Steve T

The collar brass insigia is actually the Quartermaster Corps. Transportation units fell under the Quartermaster Branch.

Dusty

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast