Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

WW2 airfield blitz - Day 1 - February 2010

Article about: Paul Many thanks mate. Sorry for the delay in replying ! Yes, there is indeed a hairspring attached to a very small cog. What I find intriguing is the fact that you say it looks as though it

Default Re: WW2 airfield blitz - Day 1 - February 2010

On second thoughts, its to complicated.

Hang on M3.....don't dismiss that thought straight away.......Many bombs had time delay fuses. Were they clockwork or chemical ? I remember when I was younger watching 'Danger ! UXB' and they always had the buggers ticking on that !

Steve T

I need to dig out my WWII fuze and pistol notes, but I've a fealing its to complicated. We used the clock stopper on German time fuzes but I think Brit fuzes used a acid, not sure about US fuzes though.

?

I've been through the wartime RAF and AAF/USN fuse manuals and couldn't find anything as complex as this. Early-WWII delay fuses were clockwork, these were superceded by 1942ish by chemical delay fuses for long delays, mechanical delay fuses tended to be limited for sub-5 minute delay from then.

Another mark against it being a fuse timer is that the gear pinions have oiling cups at the bearing surfaces.
    These are there for long life, not something I'd expect to see on a bomb fuse.

All the best,
    PB

PB

Wonderful information mate. Many thanks

One day I'll identify the thing......one day !

Steve T

?

Well, thanks to my boss it's been conclusively identified as an American-made 2" Clock Movement, probably from Birmingham, Alabama.
    The barrel does belong to it, and would indeed be mounted on the large pinion. The hands and dial were mounted on the opposide side of the movement.

I'll see if I can do some illustrations and post them up.

All the best,
    PB

Blimey !

Thanks PB ! I shall start e-mailing all the clockmakers in Alabama and see if I can track it down. Does fit with it being found on a USAAF base

Cheers

Steve T

?

The large spring barrel was to accommodate a larger spring (well duh!).
    These clocks were originally made with an internal mainspring which would give the same "36 hours" i.e. wound once a day, that a wrist/pocket watch of the time would be expected to have.
    Fitting the larger external mainspring made these "8 Day" clocks, i.e. wound once a week.
    The empty space that the internal mainspring would have occupied in the basic design can be seen in the photos.

The large pinion should be hollow under the corrosion. There would be a shaft running down this so the hands could be set from the back of the clock.

All the best,
    PB

Just a quick question.... The date on the penny... Is that 1897? Would a penny from 1897 be at a place like that?

AURktman - The same thing a roman coin from 300AD, a crotal bell from 15th century and a bicycle pump from 2007, all of which have also been found at this site. Pure luck that they are there and that I find them.

Cheers

Steve T

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3