Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WW2 Airfield - Cool finds and one strange one !

Article about: That is a carbie , my guess is from a generator of some sort as it looks like a side draught {sorta like an SU carbie}

Rifleman
    ?

Default Re: WW2 Airfield - Cool finds and one strange one !

That is a carbie , my guess is from a generator of some sort as it looks like a side draught {sorta like an SU carbie}

?

I thought it might have been an Amal motorcycle carb at first, but when I zoomed the picture, it was not their mark. Neat finds!

?

The circular item in this photo:

That's the copper Distributor Valve gasket from a Hamilton Standard propeller.

Some shots showing where it lives, taken by the late Gary Austin during the rebuild of the CAF's B-24 "Old 927":

All the best,
    PB
    Last edited by Paul B; 12-30-2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Error

Great spot Paul! iv found many of these on my airfield in the past but couldnt identify what they were so tossed em...... doh!!!

Excellent spot PB ! Many thanks

Steve T

Finally I can stop checking every service respirator I come across well spotted paul

Thanks

Danny

?

Impressive identification Paul. I'm with the motorbike or generator carb as well. Got quite excited when I found part of one at the 2nd Prototype Whittle jet crash site, until I realised what it was. Also found part of the curved surround from the jet inlet at the front of the plane and the sprocket out of the wing that caused the crash. Then realised I'd found bits of a bicycle. Can't win 'em all....

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    Finally I can stop checking every service respirator I come across well spotted paul

Thanks

Danny
    LOL !!!

Thanks for looking anyway Danny....u can stop now

Steve T

CMc
    ?

Hi,

I'm not sure if this helps at all, but as has been suggested Alemite were, and still are, an American company making oil pumps and similar pieces of equipment, mostly for lubrication systems on different types of engine and machine, as far as I know. So it seems logical to me that they might have made carbs for military vehicles or machinery at some point.

Certainly that part looks quite like a small carb to me, reminds me a bit of the awful little Solex carb you find on lower-spec Coventry Climax 875s!

As for what it belongs in, I'm not sure. As has been said, it's probably too small to have been fuelling an aircraft, but it might have been on some sort of small wheeled vehicle working around the airfield (probably a U.S.-made one, stuff like the little Austin, Standard and Hillman "Tillies" that the RAF had would likely have had SUs, Zeniths or similar, as even up to the 1960s and 70s, on British-made vehicles foreign-made carbs are relatively rare as standard equipment.), which makes me think it might be part of a U.S.-built motorcycle, or a petrol generator of some sort.

Hope this helps!

C McArthur

Thanks for the info CMc

Steve T

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast