Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 gunnery range AMAZING find

Article about: Hey guys Well I had a cracking time at the WW2 gunnery range I know of, and I'll post a thread with all my other finds later on this week. I couldn't wait to show you this item though, so am

Default WW2 gunnery range AMAZING find

Hey guys

Well I had a cracking time at the WW2 gunnery range I know of, and I'll post a thread with all my other finds later on this week. I couldn't wait to show you this item though, so am posting it up now, along with a link to A VIDEO OF ME DIGGING IT UP !

Some of you may recall that I have already found one of these 'little' fellers and I can't recall now what we decided it was....

a. Practice (inert) round
    b. Illumination round
    c. Smoke round

Perhaps someone can settle it for me !

Anyway, here is a picture of the item both before and after cleaning. I will give the body another go over the next week or two.

And here is a link to me actually digging this thing up !!

YouTube - large shell

A shot of the inside of the shell so you can see it is totally safe and contains no explosive material of any description.

And now for the markings on the fuse. I am somewhat of an expert on cartridge headstamps, but fuses stamps are beyond my knowledge. Can anyone help ?

Does the '22lb' mean it was a twenty-two pounder shell ?

And in this picture, my knowledge of headstamps tells me the 'CY' is likely to be the manufacturer, the '2 43' is likely to be the date of manufacture and the '231 R' a lot number perhaps ?

Wait til you see what else I found as well ! Keep an eye out for my next post ...... just finishing off cleaning the finds then I'll post

Steve T

PS Pictures uploaded as well for safe keeping
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 gunnery range AMAZING find   WW2 gunnery range AMAZING find  

WW2 gunnery range AMAZING find   WW2 gunnery range AMAZING find  

Default Re: WW2 gunnery range AMAZING find

Hi Steve,

I could hear your heart beat in that vid. Don't tell me it wasn't trying to come out of your chest? I'm talking about the moment before you've realized it was safe.

Hi Steve,
    What a great find and good to be able to see inside, I know without that I'd have been a little careful digging it out. I'm afraid I don't know the fuse stamps either but your thoughts all make sense. The steel looks to be robust so the use of a sand blaster would be feasible it'd make it come up a treat. In fact I keep thinking due to the larger rusted steel finds we often make wouldn't access to a sand blaster or even purchasing one be a blessing for the cleaning, restoring and reconditioning of finds.
    One day I hope to treat myself.
    Looking forward to seeing what else you recovered.
    All the Best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Nifartachi - Understatement of the year ! I was texting my wife my last will and testament !

When you do treat yourself Luckystrike, gimme a shout please. I have got LOADS of stuff that could do with a good sand blast

Thanks guys

Steve T

Its a 25pdr Base Ejecting smoke round with a No221 fuze CY indicates Chorley and its dated 1943
    The colour picture although not accurate in shape shows what the original colour of this round was
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 gunnery range AMAZING find   WW2 gunnery range AMAZING find  

WW2 gunnery range AMAZING find  

WOW !

Thanks spotter

Steve T

?

Sometime it can be :
    Propaganda shells, chemical shells, grape-shot shells, and incendiary shell,
    Not a illumination shell, due of most psrt of them was made from a light materials, some kind of mix of Magnezium.
    Chemical and incendiary will be bad, due of most of first World War shells contain very poison substance and in other case Phosphorus
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

I have not seen a 25lb illumination with a combustable body only BE types,but it is different to the BE smoke bodies ,note how close the driving band is to the bottom of the projectile
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 gunnery range AMAZING find