Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 gunnery range - First visit this year - Need a wheelbarrow !

Article about: Hey guys This thread is a two parter This bit is all photos of the digging in action, attached below. You can see that I was finding piles of 303's in confined spots, probably where a soldie

Default WW2 gunnery range - First visit this year - Need a wheelbarrow !

Hey guys

This thread is a two parter

This bit is all photos of the digging in action, attached below.

You can see that I was finding piles of 303's in confined spots, probably where a soldier lay on the ground firing his weapon. For instance, I found a large number of cartridges with Bren gun firing pin marks on the cartridges. This guy loosed off a couple of magazines full ! I have included a pic of the cartridges recovered from one very small hole

I also found a most curious item, (see below bit for better photo), which is a Lee-Enfield clip with five spent rounds in it. Why ?

Continue down the thread for the result of my visit !

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 gunnery range - First visit this year - Need a wheelbarrow !   WW2 gunnery range - First visit this year - Need a wheelbarrow !  

WW2 gunnery range - First visit this year - Need a wheelbarrow !   WW2 gunnery range - First visit this year - Need a wheelbarrow !  

Default Re: WW2 gunnery range - First visit this year - Need a wheelbarrow !

Ok...so that was the digging. Now for the finds themselves !

You may have already seen the thread I posted on the large inert artillery shell I found on the day. If not, go have a look !

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/battl...ing-find-8032/

Anyway, the 4 hours I spent at the site produced one HELL of a haul and I was really REALLY pleased with my visit. I even managed to take the wife out in the afternoon !

Ok...so here are the finds before any cleaning.

And here they are after a solid 4 hours of cleaning ! That's the only problem with this place.......the cleaning is as much hard work as the searching. But still......it's worth it

So, on the day I found a small number of 303 cartridges. Ok, quite a few. Alright ALRIGHT.......a bloody BUCKETFUL !

185 to be exact. Not counting the ones in the clip or the blank round

I've included a shot of a sample of the headstamps for those of you, like me, who like to see them You don't need to identify them for me though as I know what they all mean. Interesting is the 1930 one. Also of note is that NONE were dated after 1944.

I also found a nice little stash of 9mm rounds. Again, I have included a pic of the headstamps for you to see. Again, none dated after 1944.

Here is a shot of the 5 spent rounds still in a Lee-Enfield clip. Unfortunately the damn thing broke at some point as I struggled back to the car with this lot (it's a remote place and 30minutes brisk walk to the nearest place to park !). I decided to glue it back together as it makes a much nicer relic 'whole'

The soldiers were lobbing grenades right left and centre, given the amount of 'parts' I was finding. The grey bent objects are part of the internal firing mechanism and the big nuts are base plugs.

I have included a shot of the markings on the base nuts for you

I also found a lot of spent 303 and 9mm rounds, many of which were badly damaged. Let's hope they didn't get damaged hitting a soldier !

And lastly, not only were they firing live rounds and lobbing grenades everywhere, they were also chucking mortar bombs all about the place to ! Two nice 2inch fins below.

Anyway, not bad for 4 hours of digging ! And I found this lot in an area maybe 20 foot square.....which gives me MUCH more to search yet.

I am thinking about getting some of us together to take a trip out to this range. Maybe early July ? If you're interested please PM me and I'll see what I can put together !

Thanks guys

Steve T

(Pics uploaded as well for safe keeping )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 gunnery range - First visit this year - Need a wheelbarrow !   WW2 gunnery range - First visit this year - Need a wheelbarrow !  

WW2 gunnery range - First visit this year - Need a wheelbarrow !   WW2 gunnery range - First visit this year - Need a wheelbarrow !  

Holly #$%&! Amazing, Steve, amazing!!!

Thanks Nifartachi

I always eventually appreciate the finds I make at this place, but the walk back to the car with 10kilos of stuff I never went with don't half knacker me out !

Steve T

[Anyway, the 4 hours I spent at the site produced one HELL of a haul and I was really REALLY pleased with my visit. I even managed to take the wife out in the afternoon ! end quote]

and what did she say about all that [junk] price digging you did

Nice finds, I decided to get rid of what I originally posted incase a certain someone was a member here who might be able to read it.

Jacob - She was fine with it It is by no means Junk !

Gasmasks - You have intrigued me now ! PM me what you originally wrote !

Steve T

I dont think it would be a good idea to post what I did or let other collectors know. Sorry but the aim of the message was to inform people that they should be careful WHERE they find these relics.

[QUOTE=Steve T;57706]Jacob - She was fine with it It is by no means Junk !

hi

well for us it aint junk but maybe it could be for your misses

cheers

GasmasksUK - Indeed. And I am sure you know me well enough now to know that I do an awful lot of research before going to any site to ensure that anything I am doing is totally legal. I collect relics, not fines and criminal records !

Jacob - I see your point !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast