Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Gunnery range - October 19th 2012

Article about: Hi all Well, after a couple of months waiting, it finally happened. The farmer ploughed the fields of the gunnery range I had visited back in July/August !!! Finally I could get to search th

Default WW2 Gunnery range - October 19th 2012

Hi all

Well, after a couple of months waiting, it finally happened. The farmer ploughed the fields of the gunnery range I had visited back in July/August !!! Finally I could get to search the fields and not just the edges of them as on previous visits. I had managed to identify where the 2 inch mortar teams were aiming towards on previous visits. On this visit, I went with the intention of trying to pinpoint the firing point of the mortars, as it had so far eluded me. I was fairly sure I knew where it was, but hadn't been able to check in the past as I wasn't allowed to go ploughing through the crop, (pardon the pun).

If you want to see the action close up and personal, please take a look at the video of the dig...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNo2sx19bmE

Here is what I found.

First up, before any cleaning.....

There are more than 30 2 inch fins in that shot

And now, some of the bits after cleaning. 2 inch mortar fuzes, tails and safety caps. PIAT fuze holder, No. 36M grenade base and filler plugs, 303 cartridge and the best find of the day.....

Most of the fins had good markings on them, including the date.....

...and even one of the fuzes had managed to not corrode away where the stamp was.

and if there was any doubt, even the 303s confirmed the range was an old WW2 one.

These 2 inch mortar safety caps I was especially pleased with, finding them all in the area I thought may be the mortar firing positions. I was right !

Grenade base and filler plugs. I found lots of chunks of grenade in the same area so am fairly sure I've ID'd where they practised chucking nades

And lastly, this little beauty. Find of the day for me, by a mile.

No. 1 Mk 1 pull switch

Hope you like the finds.

Cheers

Steve T

Default Re: WW2 Gunnery range - October 19th 2012

Great video Steve, I was surprised to see those fins and caps just laying on top of the soil, ripe for the taking. Are you planning to head back out there again? Thanks for showing!

regards,
    Corey

I will be doing yes Corey. Not sure when he's going to plant his winter crop so it will have to be soon

?

Very cool Steve! You are lucky to have found such a place. Look forward to seeing your updates and videos. I like the 2 in fins, they are neat....but the MK1 pull switch is great

Hi Steve,
    Just to let you know I've been checking WRF every 30 mins since about 6.00 pm tonight awaiting the results of this search and it was worth the wait (I'm not disappointed at all).
    That's an impressive haul you've got there, I love those mortar caps, it's great when your thoughts are confirmed by the relic finds. You got another load of 2 inch tails as well some being in remarkable condition . I love the pull switch, in fact I cant remember seeing any posts or Youtube footage of any being found before, so Id guess it's probably quite a scarce find?
    Well done on a good days search and hats off for your speed I don't know how you do it, getting the relics cleaned, then photographed and then producing this thread whilst at the same time filming the search and then carrying out the time consuming editing of your footage for upload to Youtube.
    Looking forward to seeing what you bag next time .
    Cheers
    LS

Thanks guys.

LS - WH found a couple of the pull switches I think. I needed to get this lot cleaned and posted because of Sunday's RRPG dig !

Good hunting Steve, the HE fuses are nice

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Thanks guys.

LS - WH found a couple of the pull switches I think

Yes i have found 3-4 of them, yours is a very nice one

Thanks WH