Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17

WW2 RAF Lancaster base - Dump discovered - Finds keep coming

Article about: by Steve T A big buckle off something and a piece of metal that reminds me of a metal MG belt feeder. The stainless steel item is indeed part of a USAAF .50 cal flexible feed chute. by Steve

Default Re: WW2 RAF Lancaster base - Dump discovered - Finds keep coming

The oxygen piece looks in great condition

Hi and welcome to the forum Luke. Great to see someone so young taking an interest in military history. Did you get my message on YouTube ?

Steve T

(WW2relichunter)

Quote by LUCKYSTRIKE View Post
    Some more

Two marked Air Ministry cable ends, the picture shows both sides, do you know what these could be from?

Attachment 163922

Electrical terminal board, each terminal is marked but very faintly I can only read parts.
    A/M RF ? 4719, TO R3J/R3, TO ?37. Any ideas what its from?

Attachment 163923

A mixed selection of all sorts, mainly electrical components. Can you help identify any pieces?

Attachment 163924

A couple of marked peices, one appears to be a bracket but the other circular item is interesting it was originally painted red, any ideas what it was used for?

Attachment 163926

A couple of marked bakelite surrounds, do you think these were for switches?

Attachment 163929

A bakelite tube, almost like a cover marked R/F Choke, does this stand for Radio Frequency?

Attachment 163930

A few mixed items, end of valve, a plug etc.

Attachment 163931

Inside of an upturned lid?

Attachment 163932

Thank you for any help you can provide very much appreciated.

LUCKYSTRIKE
    Carefull picture 3 and 5 gasket type things made of composite may be asbestos infact im sure the gaskets are.

Sorry last post did not come out with pics from previous post .Be VERY carefull most gaskets from ww2 you will find and composite materials will be Asbestos that involve insulating etc so leave well alone.Sorry to scaremonger but it is a fact as they dry out they will deterioate and turn to dust you will not see.Andy

Thanks for that Andy but I am sure you won't be surprised to hear that we are well aware of that !

If the gaskets are intact the asbestos is well contained and if damaged, are either left behind or disposed of properly once home. On odd occasions we may seal the asbestos with some kind of varnish, but only if the relic is worth holding on to.

Steve T

No problem just thought about your safety also points this out to other members who are reading and dont know.Asbestos related diseases are known as disease of ignorance because so many people do not know.long before i was in the building game i took home a asbestos crash crew faceveil covered in moss from an old raf base and scrubbed at it without knowing.All the digging i have done as well in ground with the broken asbestos from demolished nissen huts buried as well!! even coming home with it on my clothes possibly like i said ignorance and glad you guys are aware of the risk involved.

?

Hi steve,I am knew to the site,and re-introducing my self to metal detecting ect would you be able to give me some advice as to joining a club that also do base detecting i live in matlock derbyshire any advice would be appreciated bud thanks.wozzer

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17