Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 USAAF airfield - 20th December 2009

Article about: Hi all Well, despite the heavy snow, I decided I would still go on my planned trip to my airfield. At my house there was very little snow really. However, on the airfield there was a good 4

Default WW2 USAAF airfield - 20th December 2009

Hi all

Well, despite the heavy snow, I decided I would still go on my planned trip to my airfield. At my house there was very little snow really. However, on the airfield there was a good 4 inches of the damn stuff ! This made detecting rather difficult to say the least, hence the relatively small volume of finds compared to my normal visit.

Still, in my book, any relic is worth all day hunting for !

And I did get one or two very intriguing bits

Here we go then.......

First before any cleaning.......

And then after cleaning and dumping of junk.......

First up are some bits I haven't been able to identify. Can you help ?

I also found one of those damn metal tags again, this time with WD and the war dept arrow on it. What the hell are these things off ! ????

A couple of O rings and a 1942 dated ha'penny

A couple of bits of buckle and a couple of buttons.

A totthpast tube, found all rolled up. When I unwound it there was some paint left. It is Colgate Ribbon Toothpaste and definitely from the right era !

Now a key, made in Chicago Illinois so almost certainly used by the Americans during WW2, but what's it for ? Also a badge. I have searched the web for the company but have come up blank. Anyone any idea ?

Now what I believe is the remains of a flare gun cartridge.

...and the same item again but with measurements

Now onto stuff I know more about.

A couple of nice 20mm cases, both dated 1942

A few 50 cal cartridges and bullets, three of which are more examples of 'cut through' cartridges. See the headstamp pic below....one has been fired, the other hasn't.

And lastly some 303's and a 45cal, along with a 45cal spent bullet. The last 303 I found like that. It has vice marks on it but why on earth did someone squash a cartridge like this ?

That's it for this trip.

Please post if you recognise anything.

Have a lovely Christmas !

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 USAAF airfield - 20th December 2009   WW2 USAAF airfield - 20th December 2009  

WW2 USAAF airfield - 20th December 2009   WW2 USAAF airfield - 20th December 2009  

WW2 USAAF airfield - 20th December 2009   WW2 USAAF airfield - 20th December 2009  

Default Re: WW2 USAAF airfield - 20th December 2009

Superb finds as usual

Thanks

Danny

?

Great stuff I wish I could go dig on old air fields. Gary

A very successful winter dig !

I recognise the 1942 Ha'penny , brings back memories!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Thanks guys

Steve T

Hi Steve,

The Eley cartridge base is a 1 1/2'' illuminating cart(J Mk 4 T).

The base is 'milled' for night I.D purposes.

Milled all round = Red.

1/2 Milled Circumference = White.

1/4 Milled Circumference = Yellow.

Unmilled Circumference = Green.

Hope this helps mate,

Merry Crimbo, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Merry Christmas Steve, the chromed buckle with the round hole, pictured the the 37 pattern buckle and buttons is from a parachute pack. The big black bit looks planey, if that's a word, but no idea what. All the best, Ian

Big ned - Excellent bit of info mate...thanks for that. But I was disappointed you didn't comment on the RMC label !

Ian - Thanks mate

Steve T

That does it, I have just bought myself 8 batteries for my friends metal detector and I am going to hunt down these RMC labels on the site near me. I will report on progress after Christmas, love to you all, John.

Quote by Blackpowder44 View Post
    That does it, I have just bought myself 8 batteries for my friends metal detector and I am going to hunt down these RMC labels on the site near me. I will report on progress after Christmas, love to you all, John.
    LOL ! LOL !!

Good luck mate

Steve T