Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 USAAF base - Video of finds and more !

Article about: Hi all Please find below a link to the video I have put together of my recent trip to an old USAAF base here in the UK. This differs from my usual videos in that it also shows finds not seen

Default WW2 USAAF base - Video of finds and more !

Hi all

Please find below a link to the video I have put together of my recent trip to an old USAAF base here in the UK.

This differs from my usual videos in that it also shows finds not seen anywhere before, and a view of an undisturbed base dump............so if you're trying to find one, look at this video to see what to look for !

I also need help IDing an item that I didn't take home with me, but I am positive is wartime as it appears to have been shot with a 50cal !

381st and PB - See if you can ID what it is for me please

WW2 relic hunt - USAAF airbase, Jan 2012 - YouTube

Cheers

Steve T

Default Re: WW2 USAAF base - Video of finds and more !

Nice video, you are really lucky to be able to dig at this time, it is snowing like crazy here in The Norwegian Winter Wonderland.
    Have you tried a magnet in the dump?
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

I can't believe you didn't go in the dump! me and LS would have jumped straight in

Vegar - The water is only 6 inches deep so you can see the bottom of the 'pond', so there was no point in trying the magnet there.

WH - I didn't have my wellies with me ! You and LS are quite welcome to join me should I re-visit the base and dig in that pond to your hearts content.

Steve T

Hi Steve,

Your films just get better each time, I love the way the relic is shown being dug live followed by your stills of it cleaned and identified and seeing that BP come out gave me goose bumps my fav bit.
    I'm surprised how deep some of the .50 cals are but with a pond close I guess the ground is soft boggy.Yes Id love to have a splash about digging it one day, it looks like the domestic tip, those reuseable Kilner jars were a fav with the WI, who worked through out the war preserving the British excess fruit and vegtables including wild hedge fruit and making jam. It may be domestic waste but we all know there'll also be aero relics mixed in.
    Even now with the water just 6 inches deep it would be possible to dig, WH and me have had experience of even deeper but the waters not the problem it's the silt below and its depth but there'll always be bits in the dry around the edges and of course along the route used to transport the waste to the dump.
    Of interest I got hold of one of those tools used to clear rivers of water weed, its a long pole with 90 degree 12 inch fork prongs great for dredging/combing through the silt .
    Cheers
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Thanks LS

Actually, all the 50s were found in and around the aircraft bays and gun butts. The ground there wasn't boggy at all, but they were still a good 10-12 inches down most of the time. I do find that with stuff I recover from wooded areas. The fallen leaves add a lot of organic matter to the topsoil which makes it easier for stuff like the 50s to pass through it.

Glad I gave you goose bumps. I was swearing a lot just before I started filming as I found it exactly where I had hoped it would be. The area behind the fuse stroage bays is still heavily overgrown. There will be lots more there but I just can't get through the brambles to find them ! Maybe I'll go down with a petrol strimmer one day.........

Steve T

Group dig, group dig!!!

Brilliant Steve ! Looks like you have some work ahead of you
    at this dump site. The sixpence is so common, but a
    significant find, as are each and all the shells
    and bullets. I envy you mate.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks WW

And DM ........ LOL !

I agree with LS,very professional.Good Work

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast