Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A years hard work has paid off

Article about: Firstly id just like to say what a great web-site. Well after a year of rumageing around on the old rubbish dump on my airfield we have started to clean all the finds up and start to reserch

Default Re: A years hard work has paid off

The discs you have with the one hole in them....I have found one of these things as well with the chain still attached. Any idea what it is ?
    Hi Steve.
    The only thing that i can think they were are lucky charms because if you look closely at my one with the chain on it has got a kind of beveled edge and has been engraved with what looks like some kind of landscape?
    The one without a chain looks like just a keyring ( I think ).
    It says T/S. MAINTENANCE UNIT. DOOR NO 8.

Allso i have put on a picture of yesterdays finds. The dog tag is in really bad shape but a dog tag all the same.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A years hard work has paid off   A years hard work has paid off  

Last edited by 381st digger; 05-25-2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Forgot a picture

381st Digger

Thanks for that. I have uploaded pics of the items I found that look similar to yours. The one next to the penny has no markings at all. The other one says 'Lucky Carter' so your idea that they are good luck charms may well be right !

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A years hard work has paid off   A years hard work has paid off  

Steve,
    Iv allso got this one witch i found on another airfield.
    Looks as though it was a lucky charm given out bye the KENDALL OIL COMPANY. ? Its about the same size as an old penny. Quite a nice find id kind of forgotten about.
    The one with "lucky carter" on it must have been a sweetheart -good luck bracelet i reckon! Wonder whether CARTER was a plane or a person?
    Iv found 1 sweetheart bracelet. The personal things are bye far the best!!! Dont you think

Great finds Andy, I am still working my way through your photos!

Steve

?

The only question i have is why am i finding so many dog tags and even a couple of doubles?

Not sure about so many tags, maybe they had them made near there? but I can tell you every Soldier wears 2 sets. Dog tags often get lost. The chain always breaks. Soldiers often get extra sets made just in case because its an inspectable item.

?

I forgot to add that when Soldiers are working in the motor pool youre not supposed to wear them around your neck so most tie them on their belt loop but some just put them in their pocket. Another way they get lost.

Those lucky charm bracelets that you guys are talking about, my grandfather wore one in the second world war and I belive they looked just like the oval ones you have been showing pics of. I do think they are personal items of some sort.

Regards,
    Finn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2