Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

The Zahlmeister's box, found in Koenigsberg

Article about: Originally posted in Leibstandarte Interesting that the box is really over 60 years was hidden under ground.

?

Default Re: The Zahlmeister's box, found in Koenigsberg

very nice fined Dimas
    sam

What can i say but your exremly lucky

blammo81
    ?

I do not understand the purpose of burying these items. If you are in the SS or polizei I can understand trying to hide your identity. From the tunic it is obvious that it would have been worn by someone in the medical field. I believe they would have been treated a little bit better than your common soldier. But why bury these items in a water/ air tight box? Why wouldn't they just throw the items in a hole half the size if they wanted to conceal them? Too many questions in my mind to believe it to be authentic.

ace
    ?

i cant believe what im seeing my god, apart from the rot spots on boots and wallet everything else is prestine amazing find was it discovered in battle field or near where there base was cant imagine it being near battlefield thought the bombs going of would of unearthed it wow

ott351
    ?

if he had been captured by the soviets, all of these things would have been taken away from him. that is easy enough to understand. he most probably put his valuables in the box with the intent to return and retreive them one day. these are reasons enough to believe this box has some legitimate motive.

how would you feel if you fought the soviets for years and you see them smoking the cigars they just 'liberated' off of you? :P

?

That find is just freakin' amazing!! You know theres gotta be more out there just waiting to be found.

pjm
    ?

This is incredible.

I have no doubt it is exactly what is appears to be. The leather would develop some mildew naturally.

As for the questions why should a paymaster bury his belongings, the recent discovery of the mass grave in Poland is a hint Poland: Workers find WWII mass grave of Germans - Yahoo! News.

The man possibly left the area in civilian cloths - perhaps with the hope of retrieving the box.

One has to understand that we cannot put our modern logic into the heads of people fleeing the Red Army (or any) or the minds of the victors.

This panicked man wanted to save his life, not his cigars. Perhaps he thought to blend in with refugees - who did not carry cognac and smokes...maybe bread and water if they were lucky.

pjm
    ?

Perhaps someone can research the postcard address and sender in Stolp or the man himself...maybe he survived and can tell us about the box.

Unfreaking believable!
    Superb dug up!
    You lucky b*stard

Hello Voddebaal, I think we have met before; I used "Indian" as a pseudo on that forum.
    Welkom on thise forum!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast