Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Portrait of an 1920s era soviet medic

Article about: Hello all, I don't really collect photos but every now and then I find one that catches my eye, in this case the hat and the weird swirls caught my attention. I've had this one for a few yea

Default Portrait of an 1920s era soviet medic

Hello all, I don't really collect photos but every now and then I find one that catches my eye, in this case the hat and the weird swirls caught my attention. I've had this one for a few years and stumbled across it again recently when cleaning out my shelves. I'm not very knowledgeable on soviet uniforms, but I'm pretty sure this photo comes from the 20's or early 30's due to the Budenovka and the plain uniform (besides the medals). I was wondering if anyone knew what medals this person has as I've never been able to find any soviet badges or medals that look exactly like the ones he has on display. Honestly the only reason why I think this person was some sort of doctor is due to one of the medals having a redcross like symbol on it. the back has a stamp, but it's too faded to make out any letters. Thanks for reading and for any information.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Portrait of an 1920s era soviet medic   Portrait of an 1920s era soviet medic  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Portrait of an 1920s era soviet medic
    P
    Many

Hello,

Nice picture, the style of the portrait and the subject is typica of the second half of 30s.

The Budenovka could be a model 27 or model 31.

Gymnasterka is model 35.

The badges belong to paramilitary organizations that existed since the prewar years: on the left, ready for PVHO (ready for chemical and anti-aircraft defence); in the middle GTO badge, "ready for labor and defence"; on the right, badge "ready for sanitary defence".

In my opinion, not a medic (look at the lack of rank pips for example, he was a krasnoarmeets), but most probably a proud fighter of the RKKA and an active member of the society

Best regards

Gabriele

Quote by Gabriele View Post
    Hello,

Nice picture, the style of the portrait and the subject is typica of the second half of 30s.

The Budenovka could be a model 27 or model 31.

Gymnasterka is model 35.

The badges belong to paramilitary organizations that existed since the prewar years: on the left, ready for PVHO (ready for chemical and anti-aircraft defence); in the middle GTO badge, "ready for labor and defence"; on the right, badge "ready for sanitary defence".

In my opinion, not a medic (look at the lack of rank pips for example, he was a krasnoarmeets), but most probably a proud fighter of the RKKA and an active member of the society

Best regards

Gabriele
    Thank you for the info Gabriele, I didn't know there were paramilitary organizations in Russia at that time which also answers why I couldn't find those specific badges when looking over the state issued ones.