Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Aesculap SA dagger: What do you think

Article about: Hello everyone, I recently bought this SA Dagger at a local militaria show/sale, I paid 0 Cdn for it. What do you think? I probably could have wheeled and dealed for a better price but I had

?

Default Pics in the sun

Hi Fred, so you are saying maybe the blade could be plated to. A couple more pics outside. Aesculap SA dagger: What do you thinkAesculap SA dagger: What do you think Aesculap SA dagger: What do you thinkAesculap SA dagger: What do you think

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Aesculap SA dagger: What do you think
    P
    Many

I have to agree with fred. To me the motto background looks too smooth as though its been plated along with the rest of the blade.
    Imo the crossguards are plated too, if you look carefully you will see the tiny bubbles (nickel is always smooth). However it does have the early nickel guard as the district is visible.
    In all my days of collecting I don't think ive ever seen such a shiny dagger - like you need sunglasses on to look at it.

But it will tone down as the years go by I dare say.

?

Default Close up of etch

No matter how I hold the blade or how dark the background the shine is there. Here are some close ups of the etch. When you run your finger over it feels deep and there is still some residue in the letters. Aesculap SA dagger: What do you thinkAesculap SA dagger: What do you think Aesculap SA dagger: What do you thinkAesculap SA dagger: What do you think

Philly,
    The motto looking odd I think others have put this down to overcleaning, which in turn take the edges of the etching. I think the plating has given it this effect, not overcleaning.
    I reckon you've got a monster of a blade under all that plating imo it was done for a reason.

Just my opinion best mattty

From the new photos I would say that it does seem to be a good candidate for plating, versus some heavy duty "tarting up". Not as common now, in the past I've seen daggers, swords, (service) bayonets, rifles, and pistols etc. all postwar plated. With the plating in some cases I imagine done to cover up pits and/or a lack of original finish. Others possibly just to "dress up" the item. With embedded pitting/corrosion sometimes still corroding the metal underneath, then having an uneven surface. Of course to be absolutely sure an in hand or more detailed look could help in better determining exactly what took place - but at this point in the process IMO it's not going to change the outcome as postwar modified. Best Regards, Fred

Whether cleaned or plated, I would surmise that it was almost certainly done post-war in either case. A shame, as it, likely, was once a fine piece.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Agreed postwar..it is ultra buffed down IMO..which a dremel with a cotton buffing wheel with a resin polish will achieve the same effect. I know this from personal experience from accidentally polishing off all the remaining crossgrain giving it that mirror bright reflection seen on motorcycle chrome.

Other opinions seem to lean towards the producer themselves performing this action after the crossgrain process has been applied and then removing it. For a more aestetic appeal..or presentation..which there is no proof of such action. We do see on non political blades this chroming process Heer, Luftwaffe , Kreigsmarine..and all others whose blades are mirror bright from this process. I have never seen an Aesculap dagger blade all chromed. I would think with this producer being on the Number 2 spot on rarity meaning ( very common ) would not want to spend the extra money in mass producing,along with competing with the 2 major producers EP&S and Eickhorn. It would not be cost effective..and they would lose their business to the smaller firms...and also losing their #3 position in being a big producer.

Im leaning on a post war alteration whether buffed or chromed. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Im leaning on a very hard cleaning and buff down..take notice to 2 Aesculap mottos and particular notice to the Umlaut above the letter "U" in "fur"

The first photo belonging to member philly showing a more opened umlaut compared to the Umlaut on the 2nd photo.

Philly dagger heavily cleaned

another Aesculap example belonging to WRF member Rafael

The umlaut on the Rafael example..is tighter in appearance compared to the Philly dagger being over buffed..fattening the umlaut in the process.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Geez, the poor old blade has been buffed to hell

hate to see this done to any blade

fittings buffed to chrome

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3