Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Early SA Dagger

Article about: Bought this dagger recently at a yard sale. As you can see, it isn't in the best condition, however, the rail piece has Fr on it and the blade has marking of "Julius Bodenstein Steinbac

kueinster
    ?

Default Early SA Dagger

Bought this dagger recently at a yard sale. As you can see, it isn't in the best condition, however, the rail piece has Fr on it and the blade has marking of "Julius Bodenstein Steinback Kr M. on it.

The scabbard came without the bottom piece on it also. Should I find the missing piece w/screws and repair it. Would you advise cleaning up the blade if possible. What would be the approx worth in present condition?
    Attached Images Attached Images Early SA Dagger  Early SA Dagger  Early SA Dagger  Early SA Dagger  Early SA Dagger  Early SA Dagger  Early SA Dagger  Early SA Dagger 

2. # ADS

PHILBROWN
    ?

Default Re: Early SA Dagger

poor condition sadly, however i love relics and obtaining dagger parts isnt to hard, id guess no more the 100 uk tops. the real fact is its a real sleepy untouchrd/interfered with SA dagger it may be worth more if the maker is rare. nice find

?

I agree with Phil.
    If it was a rare piece than something might be attempted but IMO the way it is if you tried to "improve" it it would just look worse and not improve it's value.

Nothing I know will help the blade as the pitting is probably already in the steel.
    I think these type of "as found" items should be left alone. There's less and less of them nowadays cause everyone seems to want to improve them.

-wagner-

A good point Wagner, either leave it well alone and enjoy it for what it is, or break it for parts

PHILBROWN
    ?

you wouldnt break it for parts john, your to passionate about history seen my request on the feldposts? can you help? {sorry to highjack the space}

The marking "Fr" on the crossguard is for SA Gruppe Franken.

Cheers, Ade.

kueinster
    ?

Just had a reply from another collector in the UK who said it was rated 8/10 on the rarity scale. Also replied that there aren't too many SAs out there with the other Bodenstein marking. Too bad its not in better shape. Anyways, thanks for your input on this one.

Hi Kueinster

IMO the dagger is worth around 150/200 Euro. Best is to leave it as it is, you could give it a small oil coat to preserve it from further rusting...

Greetz

Nick VR

I agree. Do not clean and/or polish this dagger. Leave it as it is. This patina is unique and gives the dagger its character. Although the condition is sad, this dagger is a real relic.

When I used to collect these, I loved salty examples as they just drip with history. I think it looks to be a very nice one.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]